News In Briefs

Ass-kicking to go down at Union Hall

New Zealand and Australia’s top kickboxers will do battle for a bunch of national titles in the next chapter of Capital Punishment this month.

Doors open at 6pm on Saturday, August 18 at the Union Hall, Student Union Building. Tickets are priced at $25 General Admission or $30 for A Reserve at the door with limited $20 presales available from NZ Martial Arts Supplies on Courtenay Place.

Victoria in top 500 universities

Vic is one of five New Zealand universities which have made it into the annual Shanghai Jiao Tong University ranking of the top five-hundred universities in the world. Auckland Uni leads the New Zealand rankings, at between 203 and 304 in the world.

Massey University has recorded the biggest gain, moving from being ranked between 401 and 500 in 2006 to between 305 and 401 this year. Otago University has dropped from between 201 and 300 in 2006 to between 305 and 401.

Canterbury and Vic have remained in roughly similar positions, being placed between 402 and 508 in the world.

Bookfair coming soon!

A bookfair run by the Downtown Community Ministry takes place early next month. Organiser David Cross says “there are thousands of books [students would] be interested in – be they politics, history, classics, or business and science.” Most books will be only $2, with over 60, 000 to choose from.

The bookfair is on September 1 (from 9am) and 2 (from 10am) at the TSB Bank Arena.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1