Pecking Order

Number of Kiwis on antidepressants in 2007 and in 2001 (respectively): 1,004,471; 697,574

Chance that a legal antidepressant will alleviate severe depression: 1 in 2

Chance that a placebo will do the same: 1 in 3

Number of Kiwi toddlers who have swallowed party pills in the past five years: 5

Percentage of British children aged seven to eleven who say they “Worry about global warming”: 34

Percentage who believe their own parents are to blame for the problem: 15

Estimated chance, worldwide, that a father is unknowingly raising another man’s child: 1 in 25

Number of deaths of Kiwi males aged 25 to 34 years in 2005: 207

Rank of this in terms of number of deaths compared to any other age group: 1

Ratio of Americans killed by lightning since January 2002 to those killed by terrorism: 3:2

Percentage of the 651 fatal or wounding terrorist attacks in 2005 that took place in Iraq: 32

Ratio of the estimated U.S. cost of ratifying the Kyoto Protocol to the cost of the Iraq war so far: 1:1

Days after her coronation in April that an Iraqi beauty queen resigned, citing death threats: 4

Average number of litres of blood spilled to produce one mink coat: 6.25

Year in which residents of a mountain village in Fiji apologized to the descendents of an English missionary who made the mistake of touching a chief’s head and was cooked and eaten for the insult: 2003

Amount lost by the Fiji Visitors Bureau after cancelling the first week of a new tourist campaign to attract New Zealanders: $2000

Percentage of Fiji’s gross domestic product earned by tourism: 20

Number of the world’s top ten English language scrabble players who are not native English speakers: 3

Estimated number of different languages spoken at home by Alaskan school children: 110

Number of positive responses TVNZ and Salient have received for their use of Te Reo during Maori language week (respectively): 1023, 0

Number of complaints (respectively): 23, 5

Weight, in grams, of all the information that passed through the Internet last year: 0.001

Cost per minute last spring for callers to the Vienna public library to have literary erotica read to them: 63c

Average number of minutes callers listened: 4

E-mail Pecking Orders to editor@Salient.org.nz

SOURCES: 1. Sunday Star Times August 6, 2007; 2, 3. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (Rockville, Md.); 4. Dominion Post; 5, 6. Somerfiel Stores Ltd.; 7. Mark Bellis, Liverpool John Moores University (England); 8, 9. Statistics New Zealand 03-10-2005; 10. National Weather Service (Silver Spring, Md.)/U.S. Department of State Counterterrorism Office (Washington); 11. National Counterterrorism Center (Washington); 12. David Sandalow, Brookings Institution (Washington)/Scott Wallsten, American Enterprise Institute (Washington); 13. Talat Model Management (Baghdad); 14. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (Norfolk, Va.); 15. Agence France-Presse; 16, 17. Dominion Post 18 June; 18. The SOWPODS Scrabble Site; 19. Alaska Department of childhood and early education; 20, 21. Sunday Star Times August 6, 2007/ Salient Research; 22. B&C Consulting Services (Colleyville, Tex.)/Harper’s research; 23, 24. Vienna City Library.

1. Second test
  2. test test
  3. Recipes from the Suffrage Cookbook
  4. Beneath Skin and Bone
  5. No Common Ground
  6. Chris Dave and the Drumhedz
  7. Good Girls
  8. Winter Warmers: Home Alone
  9. Winter Warmers: About Time
  10. Sex at Dawn