Sorority party to help save child cancer ward

Vic’s sorority Sigma Omega Pi are holding their official launch party this Tuesday, which doubles as a fundraiser for the Child Cancer Foundation.

The Child Cancer Foundation has a fund to try to save the Hospital’s oncology ward, which may be downsized due to staff shortages. Some children from the ward may be shifted to Christchurch, and Sigma Omega Pi spokesperson Nikki Legarth says this means children could be cut off from their families who can’t afford to travel to be with them.

Six sorority members, along with five members of Vic’s fraternity, Beta Omega Chi, visited the children’s ward last Thursday in fairy and pirate costumes to meet and entertain the children.

They also gave out $500 worth of toys and games donated by The Warehouse, including DVDs, a copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, and fairy and pirate accessories.

This Tuesday’s Pirates and Fairies-themed ‘Fight or Float’ party will be held at The Establishment and tickets are $5, and available from the Quad this Monday or at the VUWSA office in the Student Union Building. The Establishment has donated bar tabs and fundraising shots for the night.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1