August 13, 2007 | by  | in Books |

Stickmen Guide to Life

As a member of Generation X, just like the author of this short attention span book, I flipped through it in a matter of seconds and could concur with him that I hardly read self help books because there are as he puts it “not enough pictures and too much like hard work.”

Like the title suggests, the illustrations are at kindergarten level. Man has this guy got an attention span like the late Ronald Regan or what?

He even puts cult underground comic book writer Harvey Pekar (American Splendor) to shame who’s illustrations were so bad that another cult comic artist, the outrageous Robert Crumb (whose Mr Natural series of cartoons among others used to grace the pages of Salient back in the 70s) had to redraw them for him.

Vegas himself here in his third Stickmen book shares their quirky take on every day life as he sees it. This time round he likens it to an extended session at the pub, “i.e. long, drawn-out periods of mindless, seemingly irrelevant dribble punctuated by fleeting moments of razor-sharp, insightful observation, mostly lifted from other people.”

That is true in the sense that some of the Stickmen advice may either ring so true that you laugh, or you’ll screw up your nose at the cheese and flick to the next instant Ritalin inducing doodling. Which I really liked because I’ve been too busy to review anything more heavy than Stickmen Guide to Life and I am sure you will be inspired next time you doodle on that lecture theatre bench during your least favourite lecture. It’s time to replace the now worn out cliché of ‘Lecturer Destruct Button’ with some thing that is more creative, but alas will never get reviewed for the Salient Visual Arts section.

1. Issue 09 Volume 81: Tight Ass Content
  2. Old Fashioned Scones
  4. Synthpop with Virtual Vice & Hybrid Rose
  6. Ask the Advocate
  8. Tutorial Derailed by Man Who “Just Wants to Follow on From That”
  9. A Tight Contest for Loose Forwards
  10. This is Not a Music Review