University staff ratify contracts, get pay rises

New collective employment agreements have been ratified for academic and general staff at New Zealand’s eight universities.

97 per cent of those participating in ratification ballots voted in favour of settlements at Auckland, Waikato, Massey, Victoria, Canterbury, Lincoln, Otago and AUT Universities. This will mean salary increases for academic staff of between 5.2 and 6.2 per cent and between 3.73 and 4.73 per cent for general staff over the course of the year.

The settlements comprise a salary component funded by each university, and another from a new government funding package of $20 million, allocated through the Universities Tripartite Forum this year. This will explore and create opportunities to increase the competitiveness of New Zealand universities, through recruitment and retention strategies.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

8. Issue 10 – Like and Subscribe
  9. An Overdue Lesson in Anatomy
  10. Astral Rejection