42collective promoting sustainable, less-cost lifestyles

The 42collective, a group promoting less wasteful, less consumer-oriented lifestyles has begun stenciling around Wellington.

The group is a Wellington-based, not-for-profit organization promoting less-wasteful, less material-driven, and more sustainable lives.

“In our lives happiness is often equated with having the ability to consume more and more stuff… The newest cellphone, the latest fashion, the fattest exhaust pipe or the biggest Big Mac combo.”

“This stuff obviously costs hard earned money. But it also has other costs and effects that we don’t think about much: those old cellphone batteries leech their acid into landfills; the stitching on those new jeans could’ve been sown by a 14-year old working a 14 hour shift; that fat exhaust pipe emits fat amounts of CO2 and changes our climate; and that sugar and fat-filled combo just ain’t that healthy or satisfying,” the 42collective said.

The group “aim to simplify and encourage this shift through education, networking, campaigns and advocacy.”

For more information, visit http://www.42collective.org.nz

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

10. International Queer in Review