September 17, 2007 | by  | in Music |

An Album you should own if you don’t already… According to Nick Archer

Nirvana – Nevermind

1991 – the year that punk broke, again… When most of you were in nappies I had spent a year watching hyper real television wars like Operation Desert Storm, suffered from Ruthenasia (benefit cuts and the Employment Contracts Act) and had a bum year in general as a typical 15-year-old. Stuck in a dull decade with no future and no hope, stuck watching Robbie Rakete hype up lame songs like ‘More than Words’, stuck with the prospect of failing School Cert, wanting to leave but too lazy to…

One day a nuclear bomb hit, all of a sudden every single minute of every day on the radio one song was blowing away hair metal. That song was ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’ and was from a three-piece band from the backwoods of Washington State. It took a while for the mythology of Kurt and Courtney to play itself out in the tabloids, but in those heady days before MySpace things moved a lot slower.

The quiet, loud, quiet formula initially started by the Pixies found a willing audience as yet another generation of jaded and disaffected youth tuned in. In the stature of the bi-polar Kurt Cobain a storm would unleash itself as power chords, distortion and flangers made a comeback.

Songs like ‘In Bloom’ would create an audible implosion as Dave Grohl would rip the skins off the drums, years before he would do the same lame album over and over again in his next incarnation.

Produced by Butch Vig, Nevermind was a revolution, the slick metallic sheen over stormy songs like ‘Drain You’ and ‘On a Plain’ created a sensation that was quickly imitated.

Other highlights are of course ‘Come as You Are’ and the explosive ‘Lithium’ and the out of tune but brilliant ‘Polly’ (a song about a rape victim tortured by a blow torch) and the sullen ‘Something in the Way’ laying the foundation of the myths and cultural incidents that was to culminate in April 1994….