ARCH students showcase sustainable works

Green Party MP Nandor Tanczos opened Closing the Loops a showcase of the year’s work by Sustainable Architecture students at Vic’s Architecture and Design campus last Wednesday.

The exhibition is an opportunity for professionals interested in environmental issues and the built environment to see innovative work produced by more than 50 students from architecture, design, building science, environmental science and arts backgrounds.

The exhibition addresses key building sustainability issues with a focus on plasterboard, plastics, tyre waste, glass and timber off-cuts – problem wastes identified by local councils and waste-minimisation organisations.

To help celebrate the quality of the projects on display Winstone Wallboards and the Waste Management Institute of New Zealand sponsored and presented awards.

Jerome Bremner received $500 as part ot the Winstone Wallboards prize for his Tiling Grout using water gib board, whearas Stephen Geuze’s corn cob water filter system that is able to filter heavy metals won WasteMINZ’s first prize and received $300.

Lisa Olafsson and Logan Brown were both highly commended by WasteMINZ for their phyto-remediation of treated timber waste using ferns, and the ‘Eco Brick’ gypsum and fly ash bricks for a wall system able to provide nutrition to plants that grow on it, and each received $100 respectively.

The exhibition runs from 5-12 September from 8:30am to 5:30pm.

More information about the projects and examples of previous years’ exhibitions can be viewed at www.vuw.ac.nz/architecture/sustainability/index.aspx

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos