September 3, 2007 | by  | in Film |

Die Hard 4.0

Die Hard fans rejoice! No longer do we have to put up with pseudo John McClanes, Bruce Willis is back as the real McCoy in Die Hard 4.0. The villain this time around is no corporate cool Alan Rickman or Simple Simon Jeremy Irons, but an unconvincing computer geek who feels slighted by the powers that be after trying to warn them their computer security is not exactly up to scratch. Like something out of Black Sabbath’s ‘Iron Man’ he has returned to wreck havoc, in this case on our cyber addicted world.

And stuck in the middle of all this is the wrong man always in the wrong place at the wrong time, John McClane. Long since divorced from his sexy wife Holly, he’s now on a quest to save his even hotter estranged daughter Lucy from the clutches of the cyber villain while dragging a grungy computer hacker along for the ride. Seem familiar? Well it’s yet another Die Hard plot that Willis slips into with ease after a 12 year break (is it really that long?).

Slacker cult filmmaking icon Kevin Smith even makes an appearance as an outside hacker who seems to be playing the role of cynical observer. This gives the film a Sneakers and War Games feel. Not to be outdone is kiwi Cliff Curtis who provides a turn by playing one of the good guys for once. There is also similar tension as was seen in The Sum of All Fears, as a creepy cyber 9/11 style day unfolds, but unfortunately the plot begins to lose itself here too as the hero begins to do the implausible. If you thought Arnie flying a Harrier jet in True Lies was stretching it, then be warned. Not only does his Planet Hollywood buddy Willis crash a helicopter in Kevin Smith’s backyard but he also later falls onto one of the latest next generation jet fighters the F-35 while it’s in hover mode.

But yet again this is the same John McClane who jumped off an LA Skyscraper while wearing a fire hose. This is why you will want to turn off your brain and jump into the nearest cheap multiplex on your next lazy afternoon….

LEN WISEMAN

1. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  2. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  3. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  4. I Lift My Eyes
  5. The H-Word
  6. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  7. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  8. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  9. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  10. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos