ELECTION BONANZA EXTRAVAGANZA!

WHO WILL IT BE, VOTERS?

Campaigning for the VUWSA General Election is in full swing, with an unexpectedly large number of candidates standing.

Three candidates are standing for the position of President. Current President Geoff Hayward is seeking re-election for a second term, whilst current Education Vice President Joel Cosgrove is hoping to move into the bigger office. The third candidate is Lukas Schroeter.

All three make no secret of their strong political affiliations. Hayward is a member of Young Labour and former President of Vic Labour, Cosgrove is an outspoken member of the Workers’ Party, and Schroeter is spokesperson for pro-VSM group Student Choice and Treasurer of ACT on Campus, and is an A-Team member.

Cosgrove has also won praise for being the best looking election candidate – at least, on his campaigning poster.

Mike Bridge and Paul Brown are the two candidates for Election Vice President. Brown is currently Acting Welfare Vice President, whilst Bridge is President of ACT On Campus and an A-Team member.

Brown has been praised for using the acronym ‘ARSE’ on his poster, which Salient finds funny.

Anna Duggan and Melissa Barnard are the candidates for Welfare Vice President. Duggan is a member of the A-Team and recently swapped from Young Labour to the Young Nats. Barnard is VUWSA Clubs Officer.

Current Treasurer Alexander Neilson is seeking re-election to the same position, up against Josh O’Rourke from the A-Team. O’Rourke studies Economics so he knows a bit about money and such.

Cameron ‘A-Team’ Cotter and Mark Newton are the two Environmental Officer candidates. Some have commented that Cotter’s photo is quite good because he’s holding plants and wearing a goofy hat. Newton has a BSc in Environmental Science and is the Gecko-endorsed candidate.

Bradley Jacques is the A-Team candidate for International Officer, but is not an international student. William Wu is an international student originally from China who says that international students lack a voice at Victoria.

There are three candidates standing for the Queer position – including current Queer Rights Officer Rachael Wright, along with an unknown called Mark Wright and A-Team candidate Sam Archer, who UniQ believes joined the group solely to run for election.

There are three Women’s Rights Officer candidates: Sigma Omega Pi executive member Nicky Legarth, A-Team candidate Aimee Sanders and former Acting Women’s Rights Officer Georgina Dickson.

There are 14 candidates for the five General Exec positions, which will later comprise Clubs, Activities, Campaigns and two Education Officers.

The A-Team has put up five candidates: Mike Heine, Chris Foulkes, Paul Smith, Joe McClure and Daniel Parkinson.

Current VUWSA exec members Bernard-Bernard Vice Galaxy, Melissa Barnard and Stefan Tyler are running for re-election.

Other candidates are Beta Omega Chi President Chris Smith, Fiona McDonald, Katie de Roo, Robert Latimer, former-apathetic student Seamus Brady, and Sonny Thomas.

Five candidates are standing for University Council rep, including former Women’s Rights Officer Kerry O’Connor, Debsoc President Chris Bishop, A-Team candidate Jordan Williams, who rejoined VUWSA to stand in the election, Sonny Thomas and Zeb Harland.

Salient is unsure if ‘Zeb’ is Harland’s real name, or if he’s following in the footsteps of Bernard-Bernard Vice “The Best Name Wins The Election” Galaxy.

There are also three candidates for what is possibly the two most boring positions available this election. The VBC Programming Co-Director Matthew Davis, Salient collector Milan Magan and Jordan King, who thinks the Publications Committee can help Salient win an ASPA, are the three candidates.

Turn to the middle of this weeks Salient for the election supplement.

Voting opens on Friday.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1. peteremcc says:

I thought Kerry was running for Publications Committee??

2. blogette says:

more mistakes

3. peteremcc says:

Yes well i was ignoring the bias in the article and focussing on the blatant errors.

Josh may be studying economics, but he’s also a director of his own business.
    And Cam has a great picture – but why focus on that and then refer to his opponents qualifications when you’ve blatently ignored all the qualifications listed in Cam’s Salient profile?

4. Our bad – she was put in the wrong group in our information, and then left out of the booklet by accident. As per any omissions of information: this was intended to be a very brief overview, and to point readers to the election supplement to find out the full information about each candidate.

5. Stephen says:

I have to say his company registration is the funniest thing I have seen in a long time in companies office records – the Registered Office is Room 943 at the St George.

6. SB says:

$250 budgeted for Welfare services in ’08 and $250 budgeted for the Exec photograph! The A-Team puppets really have your priorities straight!

7. Eugene says:

Does he have many comapny board meetings at St George ROFL

8. Kerry O'Connor says:

Just to clarify, I am running for Publications Committee.

9. Nadine says:

I am aware there are young Nats and ACT young members in the A-Team… I do not approve of any political influence. THIS IS CLEARLY A CONFLICT OF INTEREST…
    Did the A-Team ever consider the importance some of the clubs have, to the survival of students? For example, marginalised students, such as disabled, ethnic and other important “clubs”.
    PLEASE if elected in, do not apply your impartiality in VUWSA. Thank you.

10. Sara R says:

Err, Nadine, Joel is a member of the Workers Party, Geoff is a member of the Labour Party while a number of other candidates are also. How’s that for impartial?

11. Tristan Egarr says:

Further to that, based on the candidates forum, about half of all the candidates are from young Labour. I guess it’s worth pointing out that most student politicians will have party loyalties, and this in itself is not a problem, whether they like Labour or Act or the Internationale. The point is ensuring that their parties cannot lean on them to influence policy.

12. peteremcc says:

Exactly Tristan – the A-Team are the only ones who have said they want an a-political VUWSA though, everyone else considers that ridiculous.

13. V P says:

As far as i can tell from these blogs the A-team are fuct if they do and fuct if they dont, If they say they are afiliated with a certain group they are persecuted for being interested in certain group politics. Yet as is the case with Archer and UniQ, hes in trouble for not being more involved in Queer issues earlier on in his uni life? Come on people surely its time for some people who represent everyone, and dont care about their own previous affiliation or lack there of?

1