September 17, 2007 | by  | in Features |

Environment Officer Candidates

Cameron Cotter

Cameron CotterHi, I’m Cameron and was a volunteer at Nga Manu Wildlife Sanctuary between 2000 and 2002, Manawatu-Wanganui Youth Environment Representative in 2003, and eventually formed and led the Waiopehu College Environment Group. Between 2001 and 2004 I was twice New Zealand’s top low-decile 40 Hour Famine Co-ordinator.

I aim not only to support the principles of the A-Team, but to do two key things. First, research and make a presentation to local bus companies for a student fare, and second, move the role of environmental advocacy back to the Welfare Vice-President – at the top where it belongs.”
Please visit the A-Team website, www.a-team.org.nz

Why don’t people seem to care about the environment?
I don’t believe this to be the case. Learning to live sustainably is both the greatest challenge and greatest opportunity of our generation. People throughout the world are beginning to show great concern and a willingness to change to make our world a better one in which to live.

What difference can Victoria University students make?
Vic is doing pretty well at the moment environmentally. Our new climate change research centre is a great step forward. Students can make a difference by simply recycling, taking the bus or walking to class, or voting the A-Team to put environmental advocacy at the top with the Welfare Vice-President.

Mark Newton

Mark NewtonI am studying for a Master of Environmental Studies having completed my BSc in the same subject. I am a long-time member of the VUW environment group and tutor for Environmental Studies 114, which means I am well positioned to promote and support the many ideas for sustainability from the wider environmental community on campus.

I plan on continuing the good work of our outgoing environmental officer. This will mean continuing to work with VUW to increase its sustainability commitments under GOVT3. Addressing issues such as transport, recycling, paper procurement, energy efficiency will all be on my agenda.

Many people do care about the environment but think it impractical to make lifestyle changes due to the perceived economic cost of doing so. Environmentalism has entered the mainstream, and so economic opportunity now exists. Money can now be made and saved by becoming sustainable – this applies to VUW also.

With its approximately 25,000 students and staff, VUW can become a role-model for businesses, organisations and individuals. VUW consumes vast amounts of paper, food and energy and produces a mountain of rubbish and e-waste. In the home, students can switch to less cost lifestyles through help from VUWSA. Vote Mark!

1