First annual International Festival a success last week

The International Festival, a celebration of the international culture at Vic. took place last week.

The week was organised by VUWSA International Officer Genevieve Fontanier with the International Students Council.

Events saw different culturally-based activities taking place across Vic’s campuses, with organisers trying to get as many students as possible involved in embracing multi-culturalism.

The week was the first of its kind at Vic, but that didn’t deter people from getting involved, says Fontanier. “The level of student involvement has been excellent compared to other events around the University this year.”

Events included International Food Festivals held both at Kelburn and Pipitea on Monday and the International Quiz Night on Wednesday.

At time of print on Thursday night, the French Club, Malaysian Students’ Organisation, Vietnamese Students’ Association, Chinese Students’ Association, Thai Students’ Association and International Students’ Council were gearing up to perform at the Cultural Performance show also.

Fontanier says “one year of an [international student’s] undergraduate degree costs the same amount as three years of an undergraduate degree for a domestic student, and it’s about time domestic students recognize and fully support the amount that international students are worth to this University and to subsidized domestic fees.”

With this in mind, Fontanier hopes to make the International Festival a regular event on the Vic calendar.

1. With Arms Wide Open: AUSA to return to NZUSA
  3. WEED — Anthony McCarten
  5. The New Animals — Pip Adam
  6. The Queer Agenda
  7. Fazerdaze
  9. The Green Option
  10. Bogan Beautiful (The Musical)
blue

The Things We Share

: - SPONSORED - As a Pākehā kid, when I first learnt to mihi, I found that building a sense of my own whakapapa was a kind of patchwork, something I could stitch together by pulling threads from family stories. The waka I chose, or borrowed from my father, was called the Wanganel