First annual International Festival a success last week

The International Festival, a celebration of the international culture at Vic. took place last week.

The week was organised by VUWSA International Officer Genevieve Fontanier with the International Students Council.

Events saw different culturally-based activities taking place across Vic’s campuses, with organisers trying to get as many students as possible involved in embracing multi-culturalism.

The week was the first of its kind at Vic, but that didn’t deter people from getting involved, says Fontanier. “The level of student involvement has been excellent compared to other events around the University this year.”

Events included International Food Festivals held both at Kelburn and Pipitea on Monday and the International Quiz Night on Wednesday.

At time of print on Thursday night, the French Club, Malaysian Students’ Organisation, Vietnamese Students’ Association, Chinese Students’ Association, Thai Students’ Association and International Students’ Council were gearing up to perform at the Cultural Performance show also.

Fontanier says “one year of an [international student’s] undergraduate degree costs the same amount as three years of an undergraduate degree for a domestic student, and it’s about time domestic students recognize and fully support the amount that international students are worth to this University and to subsidized domestic fees.”

With this in mind, Fontanier hopes to make the International Festival a regular event on the Vic calendar.

1. Freedom of Speech
  2. Dark Objects
  3. Better Living (Wage) Everyone
  5. A Mental Health Crisis Among NZ University Students?
  6. Women in Action
  7. Disenchanted Prophets — Matakite Matekiri
  8. Super Science Trends
  9. VIC UFO
badgirl

NOTE TO SELF: HOW TO WIN AT THE ART GAME AND STAY IN YOUR LANE

: - SPONSORED - Written by NZ’s #1 art world bad girl   The art world is a game. It is a game Have you trained? Are you ready to run the race? Do you own New Balances or Nike Frees? You have to be comfortable, because it’ll take decades to run the race and get [&hellip