September 24, 2007 | by  |

Hayward will take pay cut if re-elected

VUWSA President Geoff Hayward last week declared he would halve his salary if re-elected, in an attempt to prove he wants the job more than his opponents.

Hayward made the comment at a meeting of Vic’s Debating Society (Debsoc), at which the three President candidates addressed the club on what they can do for students and clubs, and why they should get their votes.

When challenged to hold a Special General Meeting (SGM) next year, if elected, to halve his salary, Hayward said it was “for students to make that call.”

“It’s the same way as students have to make the call for a $25 refund at a Special General Meeting. I think people are starting to get confused when you make suggestions. It’s up to students to make those decisions. I am happy to have my pay halved by students, and it illustrates the point that I can dedicate myself to this job with passion and not about being here for money.”

Witnesses have described salary-cut statement as an embarrassing slip of the tongue.

Hayward challenged his opponents, current Education Vice President Joel Cosgrove and A-Team candidate Lukas Schroeter, to also declare they would take the pay cut.

Cosgrove said he’s struggling as is to get by on 20 hours salary a week for 40 hours work, and pointed out that his shoes are held together with tape, so he needs the pay.

Schroeter said he doesn’t feel the need to make statements like Hayward’s to justify why he wants the job, and says he wouldn’t expect any members of the A-Team, if elected, to take pay cuts, as they would have to give up other part-time work to do so.

Hayward told Salient rather than halving his pay, Cosgrove has suggested donating half to Vic’s rep groups. Hayward says he is currently looking into the proposition.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1. This was left out of the magazine due to (my) human error. Apologies.

2. peteremcc says:

Can you say desperate?
    If he is so keen to serve students and doesn’t need the money, why didn’t he halve his pay THIS year?

3. Sara R says:

This seems pretty desperate. Joel must really have him on the ropes!

4. Peter, you have a good point. The timing of it makes it look like an election stunt.

5. Joe says:

Next thing he will be promising all students student allowances and free education. Besides, how will Geoff afford all the beer he buys students and drinks himself if he takes a pay cut

6. Lou says:

Looks like an election stunt? Looks? Of course it’s a fucking election stunt. He’s shitting himself!

7. feepayingstudent says:

Given that this stunt will buy him a few votes, I hope Geoff is forced to take a pay cut if he gets back in.

8. Gavin McGregor says:

What a loser

1. Salient seeks new contributors
  2. Web designer needed
  3. San Cisco—Gracetown
  4. Shovel Knight
  5. NZUSA rides the alimony pony
  6. [Theme not found]
  7. Pink Passion Pop
  8. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less
  9. 80 Years of Penguin
  10. Up and Adam

Most popular

1. The Übermensch 40 views
  2. I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree 34 views
  3. NZUSA rides the alimony pony 26 views
  4. Salient seeks new contributors 24 views
  5. The Bresolin Brothers 18 views
  6. Can the Hipster Survive in Wellington? 18 views
  7. Holy Fuck! Vic Uni Ruled by White Males 15 views
  8. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less 15 views
  9. Shovel Knight 14 views
  10. Twitterviews 12 views
grad

I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree

by

For students all across the world, years of study culminate in a perfunctory ritual known as “graduation”. After three years of napping at Victoria’s Te Aro campus, it was my turn to partake in the tradition.

Read more