Hayward will take pay cut if re-elected

VUWSA President Geoff Hayward last week declared he would halve his salary if re-elected, in an attempt to prove he wants the job more than his opponents.

Hayward made the comment at a meeting of Vic’s Debating Society (Debsoc), at which the three President candidates addressed the club on what they can do for students and clubs, and why they should get their votes.

When challenged to hold a Special General Meeting (SGM) next year, if elected, to halve his salary, Hayward said it was “for students to make that call.”

“It’s the same way as students have to make the call for a $25 refund at a Special General Meeting. I think people are starting to get confused when you make suggestions. It’s up to students to make those decisions. I am happy to have my pay halved by students, and it illustrates the point that I can dedicate myself to this job with passion and not about being here for money.”

Witnesses have described salary-cut statement as an embarrassing slip of the tongue.

Hayward challenged his opponents, current Education Vice President Joel Cosgrove and A-Team candidate Lukas Schroeter, to also declare they would take the pay cut.

Cosgrove said he’s struggling as is to get by on 20 hours salary a week for 40 hours work, and pointed out that his shoes are held together with tape, so he needs the pay.

Schroeter said he doesn’t feel the need to make statements like Hayward’s to justify why he wants the job, and says he wouldn’t expect any members of the A-Team, if elected, to take pay cuts, as they would have to give up other part-time work to do so.

Hayward told Salient rather than halving his pay, Cosgrove has suggested donating half to Vic’s rep groups. Hayward says he is currently looking into the proposition.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1. This was left out of the magazine due to (my) human error. Apologies.

2. peteremcc says:

Can you say desperate?
    If he is so keen to serve students and doesn’t need the money, why didn’t he halve his pay THIS year?

3. Sara R says:

This seems pretty desperate. Joel must really have him on the ropes!

4. Peter, you have a good point. The timing of it makes it look like an election stunt.

5. Joe says:

Next thing he will be promising all students student allowances and free education. Besides, how will Geoff afford all the beer he buys students and drinks himself if he takes a pay cut

6. Lou says:

Looks like an election stunt? Looks? Of course it’s a fucking election stunt. He’s shitting himself!

7. feepayingstudent says:

Given that this stunt will buy him a few votes, I hope Geoff is forced to take a pay cut if he gets back in.

8. Gavin McGregor says:

What a loser

1. Wellington
  2. “Bet the next Salient is going to milk this dry”
  3. How to Find Love in Wellington
  4. On Violence
  5. Salient’s New Zealander of the Year
  6. The Jet Plane, the Typewriter and the Art Dealer
  7. We Drank With Grant Robertson So You Wouldn’t Have To
  8. Wellington’s Coffee Scene: Low Budgement Day
  9. The Cocktail Diaries
  10. We’re really sorry that the last week of news is so depressing

In the Shadow of the Kowloon Walled City

: At its peak, the Kowloon Walled City was home to 33,000 people in just two hectares of land—a hastily put together conglomerate of tiny apartments, one of top of the other, caged balconies slapped onto the sides and connected through a labyrinth of damp, dark corridors.