News In Briefs

Peace medal for Vic lecturer

Vic’s Director of Religious Studies has been recognized for his pioneering work in teaching Jewish-Christian relations and 20 years of promoting dialogue nationally and internationally.

Paul Morris was awarded the Interfaith Gold Medal for Peace through Dialogue by the International Council of Christians and Jews.

Entrepreneurship chair announced

The University’s School of Management has appointed its first chair of innovation and entrepreneurship. Mark Ahn has come from California, where he was most recently chief executive of bio-pharmaceutical company Hana Biosciences.

His teaching and research includes leadership and organizational learning, technology-based entrepreneurship and management and innovation in biotechnology.

Real good international student care praised

The University’s orientation and introduction experience for international students has been acknowledged as outstanding by Education New Zealand at their annual conference.

It is the second year running that the Victoria International team, led by Pro Vice-Chancellor (International) Professor Rob Rabel, has picked up an International Education Excellence Award for the programmes and initiatives designed to ease international students’ transition to life in New Zealand.

New programmes and initiatives prepared for international students new to Victoria this year include a comprehensive pre-departure booklet sent to all students before they leave their home country, a full diary of pre-orientation activities when students arrive, re-designed and re-written orientation guides, integration activities, and a programme of activities throughout the year.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1