News In Knickers

What the heck is a Bioblitz??

Several land-based Bioblitzes have taken place world-wide, including in New Zealand, but this Marine BioBlitz will be the world’s first.

Land-based Bioblitzes have involved the collection and identification of species within a 24hour period. Since identification of species in marine environments is more sensitive to weather interruptions, the Marine BioBlitz is scheduled to take place over the whole month of October.

The aims of the event are to increase public understanding of the diversity and fragility of life in the marine environment and the work of the scientific community within it, raising awareness of the Kupe/Kevin Smith marine reserve, and bringing the scientific and local communities together.

During the Marine BioBlitz, there will be teams of taxonomists, scientists, divers and snorkelers working with members of the public to locate and identify as many species as possible in the defined area. The challenge is to record all species found and hopefully discover some new ones.

The event was opened on Sunday, and continues until October 28. More information is available at http://bioblitz.mcmnetworks.co.nz

Meet mayoral candidates (free food!)

Wellington Youth Services, on behalf of Te Whanganui a Tara Youth Development Trust, has invited all young people and anyone passionate about youth issues to meet the candidates for Wellington City Council Mayoral and CCDHB elections.

This gives young people chance to meet the people who make decisions that affect all of them in Wellington. It also offers the chance to listen and ask questions.

The event will take place on Thursday, October 4 from 6pm at Espacio (opposite Evolve), 5 Eva Street. Live music and refreshments will also be provided. All enquires and RSVPs to: 801 9150 or evolve@evolveyouth.org.nz

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1