News In Knickers

Award-winning historian Belich to return to Vic

Renowned New Zealand historian and prize-winning author James Belich is to join Victoria University’s Stout Research Centre as a Professor of History.

Victoria Vice-Chancellor Professor Pat Walsh says Professor Belich’s appointment will further strengthen the University’s history programme – ranked the highest among New Zealand universities in the most recent Performance-Based Research Funding (PBRF) exercise.

Currently based at the University of Auckland, Professor Belich will take up his new role in February. It is a return to the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences for the historian who left Victoria as a Reader in History in 1996 after almost ten years lecturing and researching.

Buchanan coming to Vic for seminar

Sacked former Auckland Uni lecturer Paul Buchanan will address a Latin America seminar hosted by Vic this week.

The security and intelligence expert, who is one of New Zealand’s best experts on Latin America, will be involved in the oneday seminar on economic and political trends in Latin America, and what it means to New Zealand.

Prime Minister Helen Clark will open the seminar on Thursday.

Academics from Argentina, Mexico, Peru, Brazil and Chile will also address the seminar.

Buchanan was controversially fired in July after a scathing email to an international student.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  2. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  3. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  4. I Lift My Eyes
  5. The H-Word
  6. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  7. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  8. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  9. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  10. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos