No surprises about Vic’s latest debating win

Victoria One last week retained the Joynt Scroll to complete a clean sweep of the three major domestic debating tournaments.

Christopher Bishop, Joe Connell, and Stephen Whittington made up the winning team which beat Otago in the Grand Final at Parliament last Monday night.

The moot was “That private providers should be able to deliver frontline policing services”. Victoria took the negative, and won in a unanimous decision.

Joe Connell was named as the best speaker of the tournament and as a member of the NZ Universities’ Prepared Debating team, with Stephen Whittington as 1st Reserve, and Clodagh O’Connor-McKenna (Victoria Two) as 2nd Reserve. Kathy Errington (Victoria Two) was named as the Most Promising speaker of the tournament. Christopher Bishop received a Highly Commended award.

The 105-year-old Joynt Scroll tournament is touted as the most prestigious in New Zealand. Victoria has won the past two years.

Whittington says the result is “really good”. He was pleased Victoria had held onto all three major domestic titles – the Officer’s Cup, the McLeod Trophy and the Joynt Scroll – for two years running.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.