September 24, 2007 | by  | in Music |

OdESSA – The Prize

Never a band to take knocks, OdESSA come up fighting every time – and look to have struck gold with The Prize. It’s heavy on fusion; touching on a multitude of genres from rock to pop, there are definitely some hits here. The abundance of talent that flares from each individual making up this four-piece band, and their captivating live performances, proves that OdESSA truly have the essence for success. The Prize offers so much, each track grasping hold of its own fresh sound and identify.

The opening track has ‘sensational’ written all over it. ‘Bleeder’ is so catchy and expertly thought-out; the lyrics are both sexy and aggressive, with Pender’s vocals classing him right up there with the best. Ryland’s guitar riff opening to ‘Motel Machine’ ensures this track is another keeper, with everyone drawing strength from one another – Pender again showing his exceptional vocal range. On a mellower tip, ‘All Your Tears’ has more of a poppy-rock formula, classic radio play.

Again, ‘Be Patient With Me’ has a slow, folky, almost country vibe. Rocking it up a little, The Prize offers a bluesy funk, encasing the theme of the album with the lyrics setting the scene. The funkiest of all the tracks is ‘Can’t Take My Hands Off You’, with each instrument really coming into its element – Swain’s drums have a groovy little solo and Mouncey’s bass passionately holds court. A funky jamming delight.

For a band to have such a diverse sound is so refreshing. With star-like qualities and animated live performances, OdESSA prove to be a sure thing. The Prize has an energy that is addictive, almost irresistibly danceable and nostalgically thought-provoking. It’s a hard challenge not to love this album.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos