President of Vietnam visits Victoria

Nguyen Minh Triet, President of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, visited Vic on Tuesday last week, following his post-APEC meeting with Helen Clark.

President Nguyen expressed a desire to establish a closer relationship with the University, as well as other tertiary education providers in New Zealand, and highlighted the need for English teachers in Vietnamese primary schools. He appealed specifically to Vietnamese students at Victoria, stressing the value of the degree they were getting and encouraging them to succeed.

Vic opened an offshore campus at the University of Economics in Ho Chi Minh City in November 2005 with a capacity of up to 200 students. A foundation course towards a BCA is offered, which teaches English and academic skills. Upon completion students travel to Wellington where they are guaranteed entry as international students.

Security was very tight, as might be expected for a head of state in the immediate aftermath of APEC.

There was a substantial police presence, as well as both Vietnamese and New Zealand security.

1. Dear Daddy Dave
  2. The Weekly Planet
  3. Throwback T-Swizzle: Speak Now
  4. Books to Films
  5. Books to Films
  6. Still Life with Chickens
  7. Silicon Valley Season 5
  8. The Adam Portraiture Award is Anachronistic and Goofy and I Love It
  9. Things Fall Apart
  10. Nothing Looks Better Than a Head Between Your Thighs Feels and Other Shit Chat