President of Vietnam visits Victoria

Nguyen Minh Triet, President of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, visited Vic on Tuesday last week, following his post-APEC meeting with Helen Clark.

President Nguyen expressed a desire to establish a closer relationship with the University, as well as other tertiary education providers in New Zealand, and highlighted the need for English teachers in Vietnamese primary schools. He appealed specifically to Vietnamese students at Victoria, stressing the value of the degree they were getting and encouraging them to succeed.

Vic opened an offshore campus at the University of Economics in Ho Chi Minh City in November 2005 with a capacity of up to 200 students. A foundation course towards a BCA is offered, which teaches English and academic skills. Upon completion students travel to Wellington where they are guaranteed entry as international students.

Security was very tight, as might be expected for a head of state in the immediate aftermath of APEC.

There was a substantial police presence, as well as both Vietnamese and New Zealand security.

1. In NZ.
  2. The Party Line ~ Issue 04
  3. Mental Health Wānanga Celebrates Work, Looks to the Future
  4. Sustainability on Salamanca: VUW working on environmental impact
  5. Basin Reserve Vigil: Wellington Stands with Mosque Attack Victims
  6. Mosque Terror Attacks: The Government Responds
  7. Issue 04 ~ Peace
  8. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  9. Wellington Central Library closed indefinitely
  10. School Climate Strike Draws Thousands

In NZ.

: When my mother gave me my name, it was a name she couldn’t pronounce. The harsh accents of the Arabic language eluded the Pākehā tongue. Growing up, I always felt more comfortable introducing myself as she knew me—Mah-dee or Ma-ha-dee—just about anything that made me feel