September 17, 2007 | by  | in Features |

Publications Committee Candidates

Publications Committee Candidates

Jordan King

Jordan KingI‘m Jordan. This is year two for me at Vic and I’m doing a BA in Media Studies and Sociology. I love all things Media and Salient is no exception.
Next year I want to see Salient win big at the ASPA awards and also in true election year spirit mock as many politicians as possible. (I really wanted to say ‘Peace Out’ but that would be lame and then you wouldn’t vote for me)

What good is Salient anyway? Why do we need it?
Salient allows for a student perspective on the issues of the day. As an institution it helps to create a sense of community across the campus by focusing on what’s important to us (end of wanky BA speak). It also burns reasonably well and can reduce your flats heating bill.

How can you help make VUWSA’s publications better?
Resources! Salient needs to have a budget which allows it the freedom to fulfil its obligations (both Social and Commercial). Support! I’d work to support the Editor (in sickness and in health) in the day to day running of Salient. Diversity! More special editions, greater amount of coverage in Te Reo.

Matt Davis

Matt DavisMy parent’s won me in a heated game of Mahjong following which I have spent the majority of my life in Wellington where I have passed the time doing such activities as eating and sleeping. While doing my BA in English and Theatre I found myself frolicking through the fields of journalism, experiencing the heated newsroom of a daily newspaper, the trials of freelance writing and managing Victoria Univeristy’s radio station, The VBC 88.3FM. Overall, I represent the binary opposites between the truth, the seedy underbelly of journalism and lunch time meetings. My role models include Richard Meros, PJ Harvey and Albert Camus.

Salient offers a medium for students to remain informed as well as voice and represent a range of opinions. It has the ability to educate, entertain and act as a point of diversity and counter-culture on campus, and once you are done with it, fold it in half and it makes an excellent wedge for the corner of your wobbly table.

Aside from adding yoga balls and a ‘healthy food’ vending machine, by I wish to offer Salient the support and encouragement to realise it’s potential as an unique and independent medium. It is though this that students will then be able to enjoy the full benefits of an exciting and interesting magazine which they pay for.

Milan Magan

Milan MiganMy name’s Milan, I’m a religious studies honours student. Every issue of Salient since March 2004 is piled up against the wall of my bathroom so when the apocalypse comes I’ll have good reading material.

The intellectual standard of the articles in Salient is high. But it could be higher, and slightly more to the left.

Publications committee candidates are responsible for ensuring continued reflection of the concerns of the student body. This I will do. I also propose the deft inclusion of secret codes within the pages of VUWSA publications, the kind that would have made John Nash drool.

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Salient » Your Guide to the 2007 VUWSA Elections | September 18, 2007

1