September 17, 2007 | by  | in Opinion |

Queer

You know how, in some films, the lead woman has a gay best friend? Clueless, Fear, Single White Female, My Best Friend’s Wedding and The Next Best Thing are movies just off the top of my head that feature gay best friends. For some reason, it is assumed that women and gay men get along famously. This column is about the how and why women love gay men, whether they collect them (i.e. are “faghags”) or just really like one in particular (of course not because he’s gay, he just… coincidentally… happens to like men).

So why do they do it? What’s the attraction? The stereotypical gay man is fun, and loves to shop and gossip. The stereotypical woman is these things as well. That’s why they are stereotypically ideal best friends. Generally speaking, these guys are interesting, sensitive, and hopefully nice, having gone through the ordeal of coming out and probably having to deal with homophobia at some point in their lives. So you can cry on their shoulder, and they can straighten your hair.

You can do each other’s nails and check out cute guys together. They’re like the best of both worlds: chivalrous, and strong enough to move those damn heavy boxes that you never got around to doing anything with, so you just throw Indian print fabric over them and hope that no one noticed how much space in the hallway they take up. And, finally, they’re good looking and well groomed. No inappropriate body parts hanging out here. They’re very particular on that.

To be honest, I’m stereotyping here – smelly, mean gay guys do exist. But those men aside, I am a self-confessed faghag, and the reason I love them is because I can be my natural flamboyant self around them, and vice versa (our culture encourages flamboyance). I’m often accused of being a gay man trapped in a woman’s body, but I just like to think I have an affinity with them. It’s like I’m the Ace Ventura of the gay animal kingdom.

I’ve heard of an alternative theory as to why some women especially enjoy the company of male homosexuals; they are safe, non-threatening, and as protective as they are platonic (with you). However, this seems to challenge another theory I’ve heard, which is more commonly recognised: it’s a nice ego-stroke to have people fawning over you. From both the fag and hag point of view.

Unfortunately, the life of a faghag isn’t all backrubs and giggles, or deep conversation about high art. It sucks knowing all these cute guys that you can’t have, all hooking up with each other. Especially if you’re single, and are left standing alone in the middle of the nightclub dance floor. This leads me to a phenomenon aptly named “the curse”.

If a woman keeps falling in love with or is only attracted to gay men, she’s got the curse. You can tell a woman has it if she’s had a string of boyfriends who eventually came out, or keeps getting crushes on her gay male friends and acquaintances.

I have the curse, but only because my gaydar is a fraction of a second slower than my ability to gauge whether or not someone is attractive. So hanging with me sounds something like: “Oh-that-guy’s-hot-oh-damn-he’s-gay.” I’ll then pout, but be over it a minute later, as there’ll be another one just around the corner. Still, it can get rather demoralising if it happens four or more times a day.

There could be a number of reasons for the existence of the curse, such as the human condition of wanting things we can’t have, or the fact that we like things that are similar to ourselves (we’re egotistical that way). But tests have proved inconclusive.

As far as I’m aware, there is no cure for the curse, except maybe time. Or hanging out with more straight guys. Or perhaps a leprechaun could grant you a wish. But good luck finding one this time of year.

Side note: UniQ’s AGM is on Thursday September 13. Keep your eye on the notices. Also, I’m not going to be around next year, so this column will need a new writer in 2008. If you think you might like to do it, you can e-mail me at my school address and I’ll tell you everything I know. Alternatively, e-mail the Salient editor at steve@salient.org.nz

1. Andreas Rupprecht says:

What the fuck is this crap? Why are the ‘queer’ columnists so fuckin dumb? Or is this just a joke? What is it with these fuckwits that write utter, shallow, purile, outdated, naive BULLSHIT. Who the fuck wants to know what its is that this self-centred munta thinks. Is there no shame?

Points:

“Clueless, Fear, Single White Female, My Best Friend’s Wedding and The Next Best Thing” Are fucking dumb films that no self-respecting faggot or faggot sympathiser would take a glance at – this is especially disturbing because the above crap has been written by a university student who ought to know better.

Women who are ‘attracted’ to gay men are SICK SICK SICK perverts. Listen bitch, don’t put your boring hetero shit onto us. We are blessed to be able to live our own lives, think our own thoughts, do our own thing, be independent, not fall into dull, backward, outdated heterosexual conformity. You stay away from our men and boys bitch.

What the fuck is this ‘Ace Ventura’ bullshit?

Im busy right now, but here are the things you have written that makes me think your article is either a joke OR you’re a backward, y-gen/z-gen, simpleton, materialistic, consumption addicted cretin – we’re going to rip you apart bitch:

“For some reason, it is assumed that women and gay men get along famously”

“The stereotypical gay man is fun, and loves to shop and gossip. The stereotypical woman is these things as well”.

“…these guys are interesting, sensitive, and hopefully nice, having gone through the ordeal of coming out and probably having to deal with homophobia at some point in their lives”

“You can do each other’s nails and check out cute guys together”.

“…they’re good looking and well groomed. No inappropriate body parts hanging out here. They’re very particular on that..”

“To be honest, I’m stereotyping here – smelly, mean gay guys do exist”

“…they are safe, non-threatening, and as protective as they are platonic (with you). However, this seems to challenge another theory I’ve heard, which is more commonly recognised: it’s a nice ego-stroke to have people fawning over you. From both the fag and hag point of view”

“Unfortunately, the life of a faghag isn’t all backrubs and giggles, or deep conversation about high art.”

“It sucks knowing all these cute guys that you can’t have, all hooking up with each other. Especially if you’re single, and are left standing alone in the middle of the nightclub dance floor. This leads me to a phenomenon aptly named “the curse”.

“..the curse..”

YOU ARE A NAIVE LITTLE GIRL, GO AWAY….

“Alternatively, e-mail the Salient editor at steve@salient.org.nz

STEVE, WHY DO YOU INSIST ON TAKING ON IDIOTS AS WRITERS?

THESE ARE THE SORTS OF ARTICLES/VIEWS/OPINIONS THAT DOMINATE DISCUSSION ON ‘QUEER’ LIFE NOWADAYS – SHOW SOME FUCKIN RESPECT – AND TAKE A HISTORY LESSON AND GET SOME HUMAN MEMORY YOU FUCKWITS!!!!!

2. Andreas Rupprecht says:

One more point – life for ‘queers’ is rich and varied and has been for thousands of years – please stop writing nonsense articles and expressing unconscious statements.

AR

3. Emma Cullen says:

Dear Andreas Rupprecht
    I am a friend of Pachali’s and I find what you have written about her extremely offensive. To write something so hate filled about someone you obviously don’t know (clue: she isn’t heterosexual) is disgusting.
    If you think you can do better you should try writing it next year.
    Emma

4. Ivy says:

Yikes. It’s a separatist. Just a bit too much angst and bile for 9.30am, Andreas…a trip to student health perhaps?
    (I’m reminded of a song called all about Ruprecht…)

Oh there’s so much to comment on here:
    – Pachali is both intelligent and humerous. I’m sorry that you cannot see that.
    – Pachali does approach other people to write columns (like meeee!), and certainly would consider submissions from a wide range of people- if written well.
    This year, E M Cullen, Charlotte Whitelaw, Rachael Wright and Charlotte Bradley have all written columns.
    – Can you not handle that the other sex might find you attractive? This is just as vile as straight men not being able to handle gay men finding them attractive- something you have quite possibly experienced.
    – Pachali knows much about cinema. You could stand to learn much, young padawan, if you are willing to listen.
    – Fuck is best used sparingly for strong emphasis, not as punctuation.
    – Pachali naïve??? (And naïve has a diaresis over the i). Read the rest of the queer columns and see if you can honestly hold that opinion! Particularly, read the previous weeks column about bigoted in the queer community. I hope you take it to heart, you really need to.
    – Who is we? There are more of you?

5. Ivy says:

Oh and:

– Single White Female is an awesome, creepy film.
    – ‘puerile’

6. Andreas Rupprecht says:

Yes yes Im sure this Brewster character is a nice lass – but mate – the copy is sooooo high school year 10-11. What the hell is this? This should be a vibrant, controversial, meaningful student paper – not this bullshit here week after week – the level of discourse is really quite amateurish. I’m genuinely shocked.

7. Ivy says:

You should read Craccum for comparison and then decide how amateurish Salient is.

8. Tristan says:

Or just look at the inane litany of cuss words that Andreas is attempting to pass off as an argument. Now THAT is puerile.
    psych.

9. Antichrist Superstar says:

Hi Andreas Rupprecht… or I am mistaken with Tim..? are you on one of you little ranty rampages again eh..? I do find them pretty amusing, how wound up to seem to get yourself. haha. anyway, whoever you are, have you ever considered the idea of getting laid or something so you don’t have to write such blatant contradictory tripe in the the comment section of Salient?

10. Andreas Rupprecht says:

IVY: moast stewdent meedia iz ‘puerile’ anyweigh. AND (while I am indeed a free thinker and I retain my soul, integrity and independence) I am NOT a seperitist in the sence to witch you are undoundteley refirring.

TRISTAN: It wasn’t an argument you bloody fool, it was an expression of consciously-unconscious rage at this truly inane, dim-witted, dumbing-down column.

ANTICHRIST: Contradictions? What the hell has ‘getting laid’ have to do with what it is that I wrote? My statements don’t indicate sexual frustration – I get fucked all the time all over the place.

If you fellows want an ‘argument’ then you’ll have to pay me as I am a very busy pansexual so take note you immature PC bullies.

READ THE BREWSTER ARTICLE. IF YOU ALL THINK THAT IT IS INTELLIGENT, THOUGHFUL AND A TRUE INDICATION OF THE LIFE OF THE DEVIANT – I’M TERRIFIED OF THE DARK FUTURE AHEAD.

11. Andreas Rupprecht says:

the copy is sooooo high school year 10-11

12. Andreas Rupprecht says:

Clearly the writer has been educated via the fucked-up consumer ethos – as are so many half-wits nowadays, e.g. too much commercial magazines, ads, tv, movies and possibly too much contact with pointless, shallow “queers”. The only logical prescription one can give for this common, dangerous mental defect is as follows:

“For some reason, it is assumed that women and gay men get along famously”

I’m going to give you some free advice baby and you better take it!

You are an obsessive compulsive commodity fetishist – why are you at university? Go to the public library and read some books.

“You can do each other’s nails and check out cute guys together”.

13. Andreas Rupprecht says:

camp.

14. Andreas Rupprecht says:

I want to write a queer column by the way – how do I do it? I’m interested in writing about the natural attraction to boys. I know ‘gays’, ‘lesbians’ and so-called ‘bisexuals’ are sooo liberated/free from the shackles of oppression that they would warmly welcome a spirited defence of boy love. How do I get it in?

15. Andreas Rupprecht says:

Other writing ideas include:

Removal of age-discrimination for everything – sex, drugs, work, alcohol and prostitution included. This is a queer issue too.

16. Emma Cullen says:

Dear Andreas Rupprecht
    Please stop! The ability to add comments to an article was added to encourage intellectual debate or thoughtful discussion on the topic not to encourage this kind of repeated personal attack and gutter rant you continue.

Emma

17. Antichrist Superstar says:

Andreas, I mean Tim Mccinnes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahahahahahaha.

18. The REAL Phillip says:

Of course it’s Tim. Just leave him alone. He likes the attention.

19. Seann says:

Emma! The copy doesn’t warrant intellectual debate. Please be serious!

20. Seann says:

One more thing, I think andreas provides some insight – a little hectic, but the criticism seems to be that the story is a little thin – what is the author saying? That all queers are sterotypes? That fag hags are great? That women who like gay men have a curse? I suppose andreas in an OTT way is trying to say that there is no point to the story. Importantly, the idea that a university magazine is meant to be have something to say about society – not just lollipop trivia is a good point. I guess its about recognising creative freedom of expression whilst expecting a high standard of comment and thought being a university and all??

21. Andreas Rupprecht says:

Emma: its HIGH CAMP theatre, its not a personal attack, you unconcious, z-gen ding bat.

the REAL Phillip & “Antichrist” “Superstar”: what the fck kind of name is that?

Come and milk my 8.3 inches you 2 jackaninny’s.

I don’t know who Tim is but maybe I should?

Thanks sean, i think you get it.

22. Andreas Rupprecht says:

Actually, Antichrist Superstar – I take that back, you’re nice to me, not like those liberal bitches. One thing I’ve noticed that whenever I write something silly-willy, the males are quite relaxed about it and just make fun back or genuinely critique it – but the females [and malefemales, i.e. those influenced by false feminism such as the gay indian and the ambiguous male salient writer] – my god, what’s wrong with women these days, sooo precious.

We should all get together for a party! We’d have so much fun!!!! And willingly provide the stimulation, sinulation, piss and vittles.

23. Andreas Rupprecht says:

Sorry a correction before Ivy does it for me: “I’d willingly provide the stimulation, sinulation, piss and vittles.”

24. wecanalltalkshit says:

Anreas, can Lindsay Perigo cum? And plenty of tranny’s. I have some exclusively straight male friends who love getting done by tranny’s (pretty ones, not the gorilla’s you get around here) – i bring my mates along. One of the reasons tranny’s become tranny’s is because they can’t get normal men as homos so they turn into women because its easier to get cock. In fact, any snaggled toothed hag (i.e. Helen Clark) can get c*ck becaus men will fck anything!

25. Andreas Rupprecht says:

Heh heh..who’s that???

26. wecanalltalkshit says:

its wecanalltalkshit of course – just joining in this serious debate.

27. Tristan Egarr says:

aww c’mon Andreas…. I was just being a bitch ‘cos I love real argument and I wasn’t getting any (argument, that is).

hmmm I wonder what people would say at parties if I described myself as ambiguous. I guess it’s easier than saying “I don’t discriminate between innies and outies”.

toodles

28. seann says:

As a gay man with a girlfriend who is a gay man….

29. Felicia Jollygoodfellow says:

So what you are saying is that gay men are flamboyant animals?!? Written by a a self-confessed faghag, who, according to Emma, “isn’t heterosexual” – I find this both strange and offensive. Yes men can be offended by sexual objectification too. I wonder what the outcry would be if someone chose to make insensitive stereotypical remarks about lesbians in a ‘Queer’ column. For the record, Ace Ventura is racist and idiotic.

Nice theory. These women do exist?

My life has nothing to do with backrubs and giggles, or deep conversation about high art. Of my gay friends I only know one man who is like that.

The only curse you have honey is confusion about your own sexual orientation and the inability to tell that the man, who is camper than a xmas cracker, is actually gay. My suggestion is that you stop hitting on men you meet at UniQ functions.

30. Ivy says:

Oh dear, go have a party and in the meantime the standard of debate falls into a yawning abyss.

To Andreas:
    – Separatism: “We are blessed to be able to live our own lives, think our own thoughts, do our own thing, be independent, not fall into dull, backward, outdated heterosexual conformity. You stay away from our men and boys bitch.”
    Quite separatist sounding to me.
    – To write an article for Queer, you generally would ask Pachali, who writes it or compiles other articles. Making personal attacks on her is thus not the best method to get published. You could do the Queer column next year, but on form demonstrated here, a number of people would quickly start sharpening their pitchforks.
    – If you’re enthusiastically pansexual, why on earth do you make comments about
    “so-called bisexuals” and so on? Given that bisexuals and pansexuals have to put up with shit from people who think that they’re being deceitful about their sexuality, or think that they don’t want to be gay (or straight) because they’ll get crap from people for it, or think that they’re slutty; if you are pansexual I’d have thought you’d have come up against this before.
    – 8.3 inches. Haha.You could put someone’s eye out with that. I suppose it throbs too?
    – High camp theatre is coherent and rational. This is not.

“Recriminalising state sanctioned homosexuality and revitalise it by decriminalising homosexuality for its own sake with no government controlling us. We should return back to our closets, underground, politically radical, community-spirited.”
    Oh hell no. No-one’s putting me back in a closet! I’ve had enough of people trying to make me subscribe to their belief systems and forcing me to hide.

Felicia:
    Perhaps the curse is a bit like me, where I tend to have crushes on straight girls. Doesn’t make me confused about my sexual orientation, rather, I just have to accept that straight girls aren’t going to be interested.
    I also know straight women who hang around gay guys. I’m not a straight woman, but I do like the company of gay men because they’re less likely to have issues with me than straight men.

Wecanalltalkshit:
    “One of the reasons tranny’s become tranny’s is because they can’t get normal men as homos so they turn into women because its easier to get cock.”
    People and their stereotypes about trannies…
    I’m attracted to women. And *only* women thus far. So I’m clearly not changing sex to get cock. I don’t give a fuck about cock. Anyone crazy enough to transition to live as a woman just so they can get more cock would find their devious plans dashed within a month on hormones when their libido will almost certainly disappear and sex becomes difficult and quite possibly painful.
    Furthermore, being transgendered actually narrows my prospective dating pool considerably. So it’s got nothing to do with cock actually.

31. Andreas Rupprecht says:

IN RESPONSE TO IVY:

” the standard of debate falls into a yawning abyss.”

you don’t even read the posts.

To Andreas:
    – “Separatism”

NOT – its independence and NOT wanting to be managed by the centrist z-gen interpretation of deviance. Thus the contemporary ‘queer’ – the real seperatist hates deviance, discriminates against hard-core sex perverts, SM enthusiasts, pederasts and their young admirers – the true revolutionaries.

I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT YOU THINK THAT THE ABOVE ARTICLE IS OF A HIGH STANDARD – ARE YOU BLIND???? And don’t worry the current writer/compiler won’t be stopping me from thinking and writing on these matters.

– If you’re enthusiastically pansexual, why on earth do you make comments about

god no, yuk. Im circumsized though. Also, the size thing isn’t important – I was just having fun. Im not so shallow. I’ll love anyone I like.

– High camp theatre is coherent and rational. This is not.

NOW THIS IS A COMPLETE FRAUD. Some of the most non-rehearsed, irrational campsters I have known and some I haven’t are totally festive and anarchic without any regard at all to any silly rules. Honey, understandably, this is NZ so I guess if one has trained at toi whakari then yes “High camp theatre is coherent and rational” – that’s because people are afraid to be free in NZ.

What do you think Felicia!!!

Perhaps we should start a radical queer group??

Our heroes can be Gayle Rubin, Emma Goldman, Michel Foucault, Oscar Wilde, Paul Goodman, Socrates, Camille Paglia, Gore Vidal, DIVINE and Allen Ginsberg — beats Ivy’s Alicia Silverstone, Julia Roberts and Jim Carrey!!

32. Antichrist Superstar says:

my my Andreas (Tim), you appear to have a bad case of OCD… maybe you should just get over it

33. Felicia Jollygoodfellow says:

What do you think Felicia!!!

Perhaps we should start a radical queer group??

As long as I can wear a pretty frock! We also need to include Clive Barker, Sir Ian McKellan (who recently ripped out the homophobic pages out of a hotel bible), Stephen Fry and Sylvia Rae Rivera. How many people reading this know the significance of these great people? Clue: all = queer as fuck!

Alicia Silverstone = why ‘Batman and Robin’ sucked. Julia Roberts = why ‘Michael Collins’ nearly sucked, Liam Neeson saved it. Jim Carrey = why ‘Ace Ventura 2′ sucked. These are NOT queer icons!

34. Felicia Jollygoodfellow says:

By the way Antichrist Superstar:
    – Marilyn Manson is rather boring and completely derivative.
    – Andreas Rupprecht is NOT the virginal Tim you so love to rant about.

35. Ivy says:

Yes, yes I do read the posts.

The article is indeed not Pachali’s best work. But really, the mindless tripe you’ve come across sets new depressing standards of critical thought.

“PLEASE…the sex act isn’t what Im criticising. Its completely natural and entirely appropriate. Just don’t tell me that its anything more than that — sex.”

This has no relevance to what I was actually saying.

“You just don’t get it. History lesson!!! Queers aren’t freer – they/we are more conformist than ever. Those of us that aren’t I hope WILL seperate off. ”

Well explain yourself then, rather than just telling me I don’t know my history, because I happen to know much about queer history. I’m not being conformist. But I don’t tell straight people to fuck off and leave the queers alone- how is that constructive? In fact, in my case, that would be counter-productive- I want society at large to have a better understanding of queer people, not for people to think “trannies hate everyone”!

” beats Ivy’s Alicia Silverstone, Julia Roberts and Jim Carrey!!”

I don’t give a fuck about any of them actually. I think you quite missed the point about why they were mentioned in the first place. Personally I think Alicia Silverstone looks ok in a catsuit, but neither of the three have made any lasting contribution to cinema.

A radical queer group would be cool. But radical queer the way you are describing it seems to be something along the lines of “Fuck you, straight people and society, leave us alone! We’re going to be rude and obnoxious until you hate us so we can have fun being marginalised”
    My style would be exploring boundaries of gender and sexuality- but with out the need to engage in the horrific bitchiness and bigotry that pervades the queer community like mildew.

36. andreas says:

Can someone please tell me who tim is?? Im intrigued. Is he a ‘straight’ male because if he is I would love to seduce him. One of the most wonderful talents that homosexuals, gays, queers, sodomites etc are blessed with is the power of homo-coercion. The one thing that this species does very well is manipulate normal men in order to secure their cocks.

37. Andreas Rupprecht says:

re: tristan:

I take that back about tristan, he is a good writer actually. I’ve looked over a few of his articles. To be honest, most of the females on Salient are terrible writers.

38. Andreas Rupprecht says:

I would like to be the queer writer next year along with felicia. If not, then we want a counterpunch queer column to challenge the flimsies.

A FEW ARTICLE IDEALS

1. INTERVIEW WITH GAYLE RUBIN AND PAT CALIFA
    2. ARGUMENTS FOR AND AGAINST AGE OF CONSENT LAWS
    3. INTERVIEW GERALD MOONEN
    4. AIDS FETISHISTS (GUYS WHO SPREAD AIDS AND WHO ACTIVELY LOOK TO GET IT)
    5. A LESSON ON HOW TO MANIPULATE “STRAIGHT” MEN FOR SEX
    6. FEATURE ON RADICAL QUEERS: VALERIE SOLANAS, ALLEN GINSBERG

Any other ideas Felicia??

39. Ivy says:

You seem very misogynist. And obsessed with age of consent. Work through it with a therapist.

40. Andreas Rupprecht says:

Nah, Im not mysogynist. Just interested in queer issues/challenges/complex matters that are often ignored but very real. Far from mysogynist. The age of consent thing is’nt an obsession, I just know that boys like me are excluded from queer because of the way we love. My first and only lover was 43 when I was 14 and while Im a little festive in my raving dialogues (arguably also a “queer” trait) – I think at heart the issues could be serious and worth discussing. So I am serious about writing a queer column.

41. T says:

“Virginal Tim?” Hah! He wishes..

42. sean says:

I think I might be gay

43. Nate says:

Hey guys – that’s great.
    UniQ is having a meeting on Wednesday if you wanted to come (Meeting room 1, 5pm) Though if that’s a little bit like jumping in at the deep end, or not your bag, or you want to talk with someone first (or instead of) etc etc..
    You can always email/text either myself, or Laressa.
    Our contact details are on the UniQ website http://www.uniq.wellington.net.nz under ‘contacts’ (the red ray on the rainbow) and we can either meet/talk with you, or refer you along to someone else if you prefer.

Nathan Cooper (UniQ Co-president)
    Nate7213@gmail.com

44. The Reverend Paul Danger Brown says:

My goodness this has been getting a little heated. As I have written for and owned publications I know how hard it is to write something to a deadline or to simply get someone else to write something worthwhile. Pachali has actively sort columnists this year and continues to look for challenging topics—I’m sure she’d happily take submissions.

In 2005 I didn’t have the privilege of the fully functioning executive we see within UniQ now days, and it had been like that for years. I commend everyone on the UniQ exec for their work and appreciate the direction UniQ is now heading in. Again to make the comparison in 2005 I was not granted regular space in Salient and I ended up having my co-president write articles for UP magazine—none of our articles were overly impressive.

Anyway I was most impressed with the turn out of the AGM and the change in operation to something that is a lot more professional then that of past UniQ AGM’s. While there’s still room for improvement I have to say I love you all! Keep it up and go UNIQ!

45. sancho says:

Fuck off! I’m not gay!

46. Nate says:

your loss..

47. Andreas Rupprecht says:

ATT: Nate7213@gmail.com

You’re obviously trying to use this comments page as a pick up – go to the bogs and suck cock in the glory hole where you belong dear.

48. Antichrist Superstar says:

like i said before tim, fuck off, and then die, please.

49. Cole says:

um Andreas you forgot to slag off Paul

50. Andreas Rupprecht says:

Yes thanks for that Cole, anyone who refers to themselves as The Reverend Paul Danger Brown deserves my special love – I will think profoundly on a possible response.

Antichrist Superstar, you are a complete ninkompoop.