Sporting Blues nominations open

Nominations are now open for the 2007 University Blues Awards, which recognise the performance of high achieving Victoria University athletes, officials, and administrators from October 2006 to September 2007.

Blue recipients will be considered for the major awards including Sports Person of the Year, Maori Sports Person of the Year, and Sports Administrator of the Year. Previous winners of the top award include former All Black captain Graham Mourie, Black Stick Suzie Pearce, and five-time World Mountain Running champion Jonathan Wyatt.

The awards ceremony will be a semi-formal dinner held in October. The guest speakers for the evening are yet to be confirmed.

There are two ways of applying for a Blue award. The first is for the potential award winner to fill out the nomination form and ask a coach or appropriate sport/club rep to act as their nominator. The second way is for the sport/club rep to fill out the application on the students behalf.

All Blue recipients will be considered for VUW Sportsperson of the Year. The decision is announced at the Blues Awards Ceremony in October.

All those who receive a VUW Blue are eligible to be nominated for a New Zealand University Blue.

Nomination forms are available online at www.vuwsa.org.nz/clubs or can be picked up from the Rec Centre or the VUWSA reception at the Kelburn, Pipitea, and Karori campuses.

Nominations must be received no later than 4pm Monday, September 10.

For more information, contact VUWSA Clubs Development Officer Brent Hayward at clubs@vuwsa.org.nz or phone (04) 463 5060 or 0800 TEAM VIC.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

10. International Queer in Review