UCSA rejoins NZUSA

The University of Canterbury Students’ Association (UCSA) has rejoined the New Zealand Union of Students’ Associations (NZUSA), following a referendum of UCSA members.

UCSA President Belinda Bundy told Salient that around 2500 votes were cast, with just under 1500 voting to rejoin NZUSA.

Bundy says UCSA ended its membership with NZUSA around a decade ago, but was unable to immediately comment on the reasons why.

“The referendum was a binding referendum under the UCSA Constitution and was run by the UCSA Returning Officer in tandem with the UCSA elections,” says Bundy.

Bundy says they will “have to wait and see” what changes take place, apart from participating in NZUSA and having national representation again, but that the students’ association does “believe the changes will be positive.”

NZUSA Co-President Josh Clark said “it’s fantastic that students have voted overwhelmingly…to rejoin NZUSA. Having UCSA back in the national body will ensure that once again Canterbury students have a national voice.”

NZUSA has 16 member students’ associations representing over 165,000 students at universities and polytechnics around New Zealand.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1