VUWSA election date changed after constitutional oversight

The date for the VUWSA General Election has been tentatively reset for September 21-27, following a Constitutional wording oversight.

It was originally tentatively set for September 14-20. The date depends on the appointment of a Returning Officer, who, according to the VUWSA Constitution, must be appointed 21 office days before the election.

The exec used their interpretative powers to interpret the clause as ‘days’, rather than ‘office days’, meaning the time between the Returning Officer’s appointment and the opening of polling could be lessened.

Salient understands that VUWSA received four applications for the position before applications closed last week. The job was advertised during the mid-semester break following an urgent exec meeting to reset the election date.

The VUWSA Annual General Meeting will also take place on September 19. At the AGM, the VUWSA exec will present a half-year report and statement of accounts to 30 June.

Constitutional amendments can be submitted up to 14 days prior to the meeting, and general business may be dealt with at the AGM.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1. Graeme Edgeler says:

“office days” cannot possibly mean “days”.

If only someone on the exec had looked at the subsection immediately following the power of constitutional interpretation, this idiocy could have been avoided – it’s the power to abridge (or enlarge) times or dates.

2. blogette says:

take that VUWSA

10. International Queer in Review