September 17, 2007 | by  | in Features |

Your Guide to the 2007 VUWSA Elections

THE VUWSA General Election is to be held this week, from September the 21st until September the 28th. Check out details of the positions and candidates here.

You can vote through your nominated University email address. On Friday the 21st of September, all students will be sent an email inviting them to follow a link and vote. Students then enter their student ID number, the pin number supplied, their date of birth and cast their vote for the desired candidate. If you haven’t received an email by the 22nd then please contact returning officer andrea.reeves@vuwsa.org.nz. You can also vote at a polling booth. Polling booths are open at the following times and places:
Kelburn Campus: Quad (10am-2pm)
Mon 24th to Friday 28th
Pipitea Campus: Law School Common Room (11am-1pm)
Mon 24 Sep
Wed 26 Sep
Karori Campus: Karori Student Common Room (11am-1pm)
Tues 25 Sep
Thurs 26 Sep
Te Aro Campus: (11am-1pm)
Look for us! We’ll have a sign up
Wed 27 Sep

General Election Positions:

Ever wondered what you are voting for? Here is a brief run-down of what each of the positions actually mean. Click the title to go to a page showing the candidates for each position.

President

Leader of the Students’ Association and the main public spokesperson for VUWSA. Sits on University Council and many other committees, works with SJS and Studylink as well as many other external bodies. Sits on the VUWSA Trust with the Treasurer. Chairs Exec meetings and all General meetings. Signs off most contracts and agreements that are approved by the Exec or students at General meetings. Works full time as President.

Vice President (Education)

Acting President in the President’s absence. Runs the class rep system, works with the Education Office, PGSA, LSS, STUDIO, and VicCom, and sits on many committees. Is the association’s secretary.

Vice President (Welfare)

Responsible for maintaining student welfare related services such as: Free bread on Wednesdays, Campus Angels, Microwaves and the VUWSA Food Bank, as well as sitting on various related committees, such as the Student Hardship Fund.

Treasurer

Responsible for organising and monitoring the VUWSA budget and helping VUWSA departments, and is also available to help rep groups and clubs with their budgets.

International Officer

Liaise with the International Students’ Council and represent the concerns of the estimated 4000 international students at Victoria University.

Queer Officer

Works in improving access and equity for queer students and liaises with UniQ, queer students on campus and queer groups at a national level achieve this.

Environmental Officer

Promotes discussion and action on environmental issues and liaises with environmental groups on campus and at a national level.

Women’s Rights Officer

Liaise with women’s groups on campus and at national level. Helps organise Women’s Fest and promotes awareness of the issues facing women on campus.

5x General Exec Positions

Goals are to uphold the constitution, to further the goals and objectives of the Association, and to act as full members of the Executive, the Council of Student Delegates and Association General Meetings

Council Representative

Sits on the University Council, the body responsible for setting and maintaining student fees. Provides a student voice in key University policy decisions that affect every student on campus.

2x Publications Committee Representatives

Sit on the Publications Committee and provides a student voice for decisions to do with everyday funding and maintenance of VUWSA’s publications, such as Salient.

For more info on the positions please ring the VUWSA office (04) 463 6716 and ask to speak to the current representatives. If you have any other questions or complaints, please contact the returning officer Andrea Reeves at the VUWSA office in Kelburn. For more information visit www.vuwsa.org.nz or email her on andrea.reeves@vuwsa.org.nz or phone (021) 184 2735

1