October 8, 2007 | by  | in Opinion |

Getting sorted for exams we can support you!

The honeymoon period of the first half of trimester is behind us, and final assessments and exams await. Fortunately, there is a lot you can do to prepare and a lot of support available to make the journey from lecture theatre to exam room achievable.

Taking time to create a study plan is a key way to help you focus on your studies. Be sure to include breaks which will help you stay relaxed and able to concentrate. For your plan to be successful, you may have to temporarily reduce your commitments, which will require negotiation with your friends, family, flatmates and/or your employer to ensure they understand your needs in this time. Being as healthy as possible will help sticking to your plan much easier, so try to get enough sleep, eat nutritious foods and stay chemical and alcohol free.

To complement your plan and remaining lectures and tutorials, consider accessing some of the services below for advice and support.

Know thy timetable and Faculty Office

http://www.vuw.ac.nz/timetables/exam-timetable.aspx

Visit this helpful website for your exam timetable, information on the rules (so you don’t get tripped up by a technicality) and the aegrotat process. This is also the place to find contact details for all the Faculty Offices, who may be able to help with pre-exam queries and are open throughout the exam period.

Counselling Service

Phone 04 463 5310, or e-mail counselling-service@vuw.ac.nz

The Counselling Service is offering workshops, self-help information on their website, individual sessions to discuss specific concerns, extended hours during the exam period and can complete aegrotat applications with you.

Student Health

Phone 04 463 5308, or e-mail student-health@vuw.ac.nz

Healthy behaviours and activities will help boost your immune system and also help to prevent common illnesses such as colds and influenza. If you become acutely unwell, Student Health may be able to provide medication to settle your symptoms. They can also assist with making exam facility arrangements and can complete aegrotat applications with you.

Student Finance Advisory Service

Phone 04 463 7474, or e-mail student-hardship@vuw.ac.nz

Being broke is a concern for many students year-round. With the added pressure of exams, looking after your finances can seem overwhelming. The Student Finance Advisory Service can provide assistance to help you take control of your finances.

Student Learning Support Services

Phone 04 463 5999, website info http://www.vuw.ac.nz/st_services/slss/

Student Learning Support Services can help to build confidence for exams and assist with study skills. Visit their website for their workshop timetable which includes Revision Strategies, Exam Essays, Test and Exam Techniques and an array of helpful resources.

Disability Support Services

Phone 04 463 6070, e-mail: disability@vuw.ac.nz

Students with disabilities may be able to access individualised support, services, advice and information. If you are registered with DSS and require arrangements for exams, contact your Student Adviser before lectures end to ensure appropriate arrangements can be made.

Victoria University of Wellington Students’ Association

Phone 04 463 6716, website: www.vuwsa.org.nz

All students become members of VUWSA when they enrol, so make use of this valuable resource in the build up to, and during, the exam period. The Education Coordinator is available to provide advice and support for students with education issues. VUWSA also provides free food parcels and bread for students in hardship. There are many other services available at VUWSA, so contact them today.

Despite the vast array of support and services on offer, nobody can study for you – so pick up a book! Just keep in mind that looking after yourself should come first.

By Rachel Anderson-Smith, Disability Support Services
Catherine Nelson, Student Health Service

1. There’s a New Editor
1