Gladwrapping record attempt this Thurs

Publishing collective Lawrence & Gibson are planning an attempt at setting the World Record for wrapping the most people in cling film (Gladwrap) simultaneously this Thursday. The event is in celebration of the release of Ulrich Haarburste’s Novel of Roy Orbison in Cling Film, where Haarburste writes a collection of tales of his own experiences of wrapping Roy Orbison in cling film.

Lawrence & Gibson have exhaustively researched for any previously-held world records of this nature, however, Guinness World Records said “no record currently exists.”

The only previous attempt of this nature was at a private party in San Francisco in 1997, where 12 people were successfully wrapped in cling film. Unfortunately, no photographic evidence was taken to conclusively prove all 12 were simultaneously wrapped, so the record remains firmly up for grabs.

Representative of Lawrence & Gibson, as well as Richard Meros, author of On the condition and possibilities of Helen Clark taking me as Her Young Lover, are aiming for “at least one hundred [people], if not many more.” This, he says, requires recruiting members of the public, in particular Vic students. Meros’ book is also being relaunched in its third edition at this event.

Haarburste says “the theme of Roy Orbison being wrapped in cling film goes to the heart of the human condition and will strike a chord in all places, cultures and historical epochs”, and it is this the collective hopes to rely on for support of their cause; after all, Haarburste’s book “is perhaps the only book you will ever need to own on the subject of wrapping Roy Orbison in cling film.”

Known in bondage circles as ‘mummification’, Meros says the process of wrapping Roy Orbison, described in Haarburste’s book is not the one they will be using. “Wrapping the torso and arms first allows the ‘mummy’ to stand freely until the legs are ready to be wrapped.”

To quell any concerns potential members of the public have, there will be five safety officers on hand, as well as a steady supply of liquids for those involved.

The attempt is to take place at Mighty Mighty on Cuba Street on Thursday from 7:30pm, with bands including The Sunshine Suite and The Dukes of Leisure starting from 9.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1. My Attention is Broke
  2. WHERE VIRAL DREAMS GO TO DIE
  3. Storytime: Angst, Agony, and Adorable Babies in Teen Mom YouTube