October 15, 2007 | by  | in Music |

How to blow your summer savings in worthwhile ways guide

Top of the list goes to Camp A Low Hum. I have been to many a party in my 22 years but the February 2006 camp definitely stands as the “best party ever”. By all accounts – reviews, party goers’ opinions and general feedback – I’m not the only one holding to this belief. After a year’s worth of anticipation for the next instalment, tickets are now on sale for the 2008 camp. This, like the first one, is surrounded in secrecy.

Organiser Blink has listed all the limited details at http://www.alowhum.com.

In a nutshell, this year’s camp is four days, from the 2nd to the 5th February. It’s about 10 minutes south of Levin on State Highway 1- an hour North of Wellington. Exact details are emailed to ticket buyers with their ticket purchase. Like 2007, bands are not announced until you arrive at the Camp, but there will be about 50 of them, and as well as music there are games, arts and crafts, BYO and cheap food.

For those who do dig the regular festivals, there is Phat08 New Year’s at Inangahua, on the West Coast of the South Island, from the 29th December to the 2nd of January, which will feature about 100 different acts and two zones. Usually a drum‘n’bass oriented festival, this year features more of a mix, such as Shapeshifter, Salmonella Dub, Zinc, Dynamite, D-Bridge from Bad Company, Concord Dawn, Black Sun Empire, The Little Bushman, Ladi 6, the Upbeats, P-Money, and the list goes on. Go to http://www.phatclub.co.nz for tickets and more details.

Or of course, there is The Big Day Out. Friday January 18th with Bjork, Dizzee Rascal, Arcade Fire, Battles, Rage Against the Machine, Billy Bragg, LCD Soundsystem, Shihad, The Clean and more. Check out http://www.bigdayout.com. Rhythm & Vines is once again in Gisborne, 31 December 2007, with Concord Dawn, Die! Die! Die!, Jakob, The Tutts, Motocade, Charlie Ash and more.

A new festival on the scene is the Ragamuffin Music Festival in Rotorua, on the 2nd February 2008, featuring UB40, The Wailers, Maxi Priest, Arrested Development, The Black Seeds, Katchafire, The Midnights and House of Shem.

At the other end of the spectrum is the Total FKN Mayhem Fest, featuring The Black Dahlia Murder (USA), Cephalic Carnage (USA), Ulcerate, Five Star Prison Cell (AUS), Antagonist, Akaname, Ulcerate, on November the 9th at The Kings Arms in Auckland.

ALSO

Garageland; Nov 10th, Kings Arms Tavern, Auckland
John Cale; Nov 15th @ Bruce Mason Centre, Auckland
Destination 2008; New Year’s Eve @ Subnine
Jose Gonzales; Jan 9th @ the Opera House
Die!Die!Die!; Nov 2nd @ San Fran
The Veils; Nov 9th @ San Fran
Architecture in Helsinki; Dec 14th @ San Fran14th
The Gossip; Nov 8th @ San Fran
The VBC presents – Over The Atlantic; Every Tuesday of November @ The San Fran

Rumoured tours for summer and 2008 (on good authority): WASP, Twisted Sister, Dimmu Borgir, Amon Amarth, Immortal, Chimaira, Black Lips, Hammerfall, Immolation, Angelcorpse, Kataklysm and at the San Fran summer rumours are the 7th Dec – Bouncing Souls (7th Dec), The National (25th Jan) and Me First and the Gimme Gimmes (27th Jan).

1. Freedom of Speech
  2. Dark Objects
  3. Better Living (Wage) Everyone
  5. A Mental Health Crisis Among NZ University Students?
  6. Women in Action
  7. Disenchanted Prophets — Matakite Matekiri
  8. Super Science Trends
  9. VIC UFO
badgirl

NOTE TO SELF: HOW TO WIN AT THE ART GAME AND STAY IN YOUR LANE

: - SPONSORED - Written by NZ’s #1 art world bad girl   The art world is a game. It is a game Have you trained? Are you ready to run the race? Do you own New Balances or Nike Frees? You have to be comfortable, because it’ll take decades to run the race and get [&hellip