October 1, 2007 | by  | in Opinion |

In Defense of Salient

Last week, a number of concerns were raised by the A-Team and the returning officer Andrea Reeves over the way Salient covered the elections. We were alleged to have broken the VUWSA constitution, to the point where it was likely to influence votes.

Salient doesn’t apologise. Whatever your views on the A-Team, it cannot be denied that they were news. When someone credibly alleges that members of the A-Team are racist, it’s news. When the leaders of some of the largest rep groups on campus band together to raise their concerns over A-Team policies, it’s news.

Much of the election was the A-Team acting, or their opponents and opposition reacting to them. No one should be surprised to see that our news coverage focused on them – they were the VUWSA election. And this sort of news about them is something you’re entitled to know when you cast your vote.

The concerns reached fever pitch Sunday the week before, when the A-Team’s campaign manager Jordan Williams threatened me with defamation action if material allegedly defaming members of the A-Team was included in last week’s Salient. In addition, the leader of the A-Team, Lukas Schroeter, explored the possibility of the publications committee prohibiting Salient from being released.

The action was obviously not pursued, and on Monday morning Salient was delivered to you as usual (see page 10 for our reporting of these events). The arguments of the A-Team and the returning officer were that the VUWSA election rules prohibit any person from printing, distributing or delivering anything to influence voters during the election. Salient has always brought Vic students news during election week – we like to think we’re an important source of information for our readers on all things VUWSA. The argument that Salient falls within constitutional limitations on the “conduct of electors and applicants” is new to us, and has chilling implications for your right to know and our obligation to keep you informed.

Salient’s view has always been that this section – important to ensure that candidates don’t exercise undue influence while voting is ongoing – doesn’t prohibit us keeping you up-to-date with news developments, and that the exception in the rules for other things authorised by the Constitution encompasses just about everything we do. The Salient Charter, also incorporated in the Constitution, begins with the following:

1. The Editor shall determine the form and content of Salient with complete freedom from political interference.

2. The Association has the right to expect reasonable coverage of the year’s priority goals. The Editor retains control of the form that this coverage takes.

Salient is – and should be – free to publish literally anything at all, whether during election voting time or otherwise. We hope you, your elected representatives, and those (like the A-Team) who purport to advance the cause of freedom wouldn’t have it any other way.

Our coverage was also mentioned on David Farrar’s kiwiblog. Here Farrar accused Salient of being grossly unfair by carrying an avalanche of negative stories during the period where candidates are banned from being able to publicly respond. While it’s true that the candidates were banned from distributing public statements (Schedule 2, clause 54 of the constitution) we actually allowed all candidates who had negative allegations against them to respond at the time of reporting.

Balance is extremely important in the publication of news articles – particularly so close to an election. Salient’s obligation to keep you informed was tempered by our desire to be fair to all those involved. For every allegation or criticism against a candidate, we sought and printed their response. You heard both sides of the story and should have had the information to help you cast an informed vote.

The events we covered were important to the VUWSA elections, and had we failed to cover them – even if they cast candidates in a negative light – for sake of perceived interpretation of the constitution, we would not have served the public interest. Farrar also makes reference to an opinion piece by Council representative candidate Chris Bishop, which Salient did not publish. This was because the article brought to light that Bishop was involved with the A-Team (in his own words: “having minor involvement in their campaign”) and in my judgment was a partial account, commending the A-Team with sentences like: “It’s the additional things they’ve done that are so impressive,” and “If these guys can organise VUWSA as well as they’ve organised their campaign, then we’re in safe hands,” and “When was the last time you saw candidates publish an alternative budget for the forthcoming year?”). The tone of writing is persuasive, not informative like our news coverage that week – and, as a candidate, Bishop probably would have contravened clause 54(b) himself.

The comments by Farrar are all the more understandable in light of his personal politics, himself a supporter of voluntary student membership and a member of the National party. In a posting made on September 19, Farrar bats for the A-Team – talking up some of their policies, concluding that they are “what may save VUWSA”. Farrar here justifies one of the A-Team’s “most significant” policies – electronic referenda, so that all students on campus can participate in VUWSA decision making – on the basis that it will increase student participation. Farrar overlooks policies by other candidates which also increase participation such us those by Cosgrove, to provide more support to class representation.

Other policies which are beneficial to students, such as free Internet services, clubs support, and universal allowance advocacy (as espoused by Hayward and Cosgrove) are also overlooked. Is that “fair and balanced”?

Steve

1. Craig D says:

The free internet that everyone is going to be charged for at the start of the year you mean?

Nothing comes free – this just means some students will be paying for other students’ printing and surfing bebo…

2. Nick Archer says:

Craig D, the university has big f***er City Link cables with HUGE amounts of broadband they don’t have to charge students the earth for internet ($100 per gigabyte- cheaper to use internet at home or cafe), but they do because they can… Just like they have the temerity to on top of that to want to increase fees by another 10% next year…

3. Just registering my support, Steve. The coverage I’ve seen has been totally impartial. The A-Team would do better to suck it up and make positive contributions in the form of reports/attendance at Exec meetings. Just because they’re not elected representatives doesn’t mean they can’t be involved with developing policy…

4. Iris says:

Worst editor ever.

5. kate says:

Farrar a. If he is the same guy that does the entertainment wrap each week then u shld not listen to him. I think watching paint dry would be more amusing than his “witty social commentry”…cough. O and arent National aganist Unions in their policy so doesn’t that kind of make Farrar a bit confused because arent VUWSA part of a union (student union)? I might just be making up crap infact i most likely am but someone should answer my question cause i can’t be bothered finding out for myself.

6. Kate- VUWSA and the Student Union are two completely seperate organizations. And the Student union is very different to a trade union.

7. Nick says:

Yeah you’re allowed to print whatever you want but as the main info source for students you could at least feign some objectivity. Weren’t you meant to have been a real journalist once upon a time? Show a sense of responsibility, you jackass.

8. Nicola Kean says:

Kate: The “Student Union” recently renamed the Union are a off-shoot of the University who own the Union Building and run the bar and cafe there. So the term union is a little deceptive. But VUWSA could be considered a student union because it’s mission is to advocate for students the same way trade unions advocate for their members. Etc. And David Farrar the blogger is different to the guy on TV 1.

9. Nick Archer says:

‘Yeah you’re allowed to print whatever you want’ – WHICH WE DID

‘as the main info source for students ‘ – WHICH IS WHY IT WAS IN NEWS SECTION

‘you could at least feign some objectivity’ – IT’S AN EDITORIAL RETARD

‘Weren’t you meant to have been a real journalist once upon a time?’ – WHAT FOR CITY VOICE, THINK HE IS REAL JOURNALIST NOW!

‘Show a sense of responsibility’ – I THINK THIS EDITORIAL DOES THAT

‘you jackass’ – YOU HAS BEEN WHO’S STILL STICKING AROUND…

10. Bill says:

‘Salient is – and should be – free to publish literally anything at all, whether during election voting time or otherwise. ”

Good luck with avoiding a contempt of court proceeding for printing info that has name suppression, or a suit for defamation… I’m sure that argument will get you far.

11. I agree that the concerns pointed out of salient bias are valid. While the bias probably was unintentional, it was unwise (in terms of balanced coverage) to print the staff letter in counterpoint, but not Chris Bishops piece. “tone of writing is persuasive, not informative like our news coverage that week”- The same could be said about the staff op-ed.

“No one should be surprised to see that our news coverage focused on them – they were the VUWSA election.” There is some truth to this, and the election was largely a referendum on the A-Team. However, Salient did give a little too much coverage to the A-Team. Take the interview with the presidential candidates. the bulk of the questions were about what the A-Team would or wouldn’t do.

“When someone credibly alleges that members of the A-Team are racist, it’s news.” I’ve said before that the incident was minor and blown up out of proportions by the a-Teams opponents. I doubt that this would have been complained about, or made salient, if there was no election involved. And it is much disputed what happened. A brief one paragraph in an article might do, not a whole article.

I would also have probably reported on Joels free internet and printing promise (something that was a key part of joels campaign, but was scarecely mentioned in Salient, and the anonymous smear poster campaign.

Having said the above, a lot of what Salient did publish was fair. The A-Team deserved a lot of scrutiny over their plans to reform VUWSA. It deserved a lot of coverage. Salient may have gone a little too far in some places, but overall Salient preformed a valuable service to students this election.

12. Br says:

What’s an editorial? This? Or the news section? Don’t forget that Steve had a vested interest in influencing the election because a move towards VSM would probably result in less funding for Salient. The rest of the editorial is an attempt at high-sounding rhetoric based on ‘freedom of speech’, and is just a cover for the fact that he violated his ethical position by presenting slanted and politically influenced journalism.

13. Henry Clayton says:

I think that we should abolish clause 54. It would be practically far better and more democratic to just let people keep electioneering during the voting week. Just require candidates to remove their posters and chalk before voting ends (so that candidates are still compelled to remove all of their shit from the campus by a firm deadline) but I say let them keep going during voting week. Obviously prohibit bribery and treating (see the Electoral Act 1993 sections 215-218) but allow electioneering until the last day of voting.
    That way we can keep talking about issues during the voting week and be rid of these delicate distinctions.

14. Lou says:

Yeah, that Nick guy is SUCH a has been. Was 2000 or 2001 that he ran for VUWSA president on a VSM platform and didn’t win? And he’s still hanging around writing for Salient….

Oh, wait. Wrong Nick.

15. Nick Archer says:

Not as much as Nicholas Holme, O’kane, Kelly, Henry yes remember him, you do Lou don’t you? You can remember as far back as 2000 and 2001 can’t you? Because you are a sad git also that hangs around and sticks their nose into Salient when they aren’t even working here, I was hardly hanging around when Max took over in 02, did I hang around or write letters to Salient when they went down the bad gonzo journalism and self indulgent features back in 03? Or was I around in 04 and 05 during the bland years of Barnett and Braunstein (an ex Lucid writer)? Did I hang around last year for James’ self indulging arrogance?

No! I went out had a life and came back this year to do Visual Arts. I even have managed to set up SalientTV (which the VBC are copying, bless them! It’s the way of the future – video blogging, forget television and TVNZ’s obsession with digital tv, the future is on the Internet – YouTube is killing traditional TV…) and still write The Conformity of Cool, Rise of the New Media Machines and do some music and film reviews. It’s called hanging around the Salient office being productive and not bitching when you are gone. It is much better to bitch if you aren’t involved (I used to and even became Guest Editor and had a cover dedicated after me called ‘Scumulant’ something that all those pseudonym/gutless people like you Lou who don’t have the guts to not hide behind a pseudonym because they know that I will know who they are if they put their name to what they say…)

Yes I ran against the Young Labourite Chipkins in 2000 for President, he would have run opposed otherwise, I didn’t give an crap if I won or not… And I ran in 2001 against another Labourite Fleur and an old ideological enemy Nick Henry (came 10 votes behind him) and didn’t give an arse that Graeme Edgler was running also and splitting my votes… And I am never going to run again, and I am out of here at the end of the year because I am not a try hard, bitter ex Salientite from the past who just has to want to stick around on the Salient website dissing those who aren’t from their dull boring clique who ran Salient in years past…

16. Nick says:

oi, Archere, spell someone’s name right before you come out swinging.

Responsibility isn’t normally practiced retroactively and there’s a difference between News and Editorials, which you seem to conflate when parsing my brief post. You refer to them both in the context of rebutting one sentence.

I’m sorry I implied Steve was a real journalist, that was a mistake on my part. It won’t happen again.

17. Graeme says:

O’Kane? He hasn’t been around very long at all.

18. Nick Archer says:

Sorry I hoped that Nick’s like you would use a surname so we actually know which Nick you are…

The features last year were poorly researched and seemed to be by real journalists who really knew how to use Google…

The editorial this week was an editorial it ISN’T supposed to be objective, it is an OPINION (of the editor) it is a pity that last years editorials were so dull and had nothing to say…

19. I liked J Rob’s editorials dammit!

20. Nick Archer says:

ha ha, some of them were funny (despite lacking substance), but they appeared to be 5am musings (Nikki Burrows did lots of those too) but they were opinions also Nick, so it’s a waste of time for you to diss the latest editorial as it is the current Mr Ed’s OPINION. It is funny how everyone is dissing the messengers (Steve and Laura in the news section for reporting the news that the A-Team created) and not the actual message.

The point is that the A-Team need to get over it…

21. Michael Oliver says:

Yeah, fucking student press (more like STUPID press, am I right? Hell yeah I am, gimme a high five O’kane, you saucy piece of meat) with its “this is what happened, so we’re going to report it” style of “editorial” bias. I mean, what the fuck is that fucking bullshit? Reporting… what actually happened? Oh, I’m sorry — did I fall into Nazi Germany circa 1938?

Yes, yes, it’s all Salient’s fault, and there’s absolutely no ground for claiming that the members of the elite political squadron named for a 1980’s television program starring Mr. T were just being fucking dicks leading up to the election and, funnily enough, got their bullshit called on them. I think a lot of students woudl’ve been inclined to vote for them if they didn’t act like, ya’know, such unlikeable, arrogant, holier-than-thou douchebags. They’re the architects of their own demise. That is all.

And really now, Salient’s spent the better part of the year ragging on the current exec, and next year should be no different. Maybe we don’t have a bias towards a particular political ideology; maybe we just have contempt for douchebaggery and feel compelled beyond all measure to call people out on it?

22. Evee says:

Salient defends Salient, big surprise.

If you have such a contempt for douchebaggery why don’t you stop posting.

23. Michael Oliver says:

Oh shit, I got told.

24. Michael Oliver says:

Evee, do you have a politically-themed blog adorned with a tasteful image of Helen Clark as a zombie in the masthead that nobody outside of a select concave of uninteresting political commentators who used to send letters to Salient under the pseudonym “FART FACE BOLLOCKED CUNT” back in their university hay day which, incidentally, ended anywhere between three and five years ago, but are so outraged by the emergence of a radical political left in student wheelings and dealings (which really is more just student apathy than anything else – BUT DON’T BELIEVE THAT, THAT’S ANOTHER YOUNG LABOUR LIE!) they insist on rallying behind anyone with even the slightest scent of a right-leaning agenda despite how embarrassingly unprepared, inexperienced and unlikeable that someone is likely to be in the hope those FUCKING YOUNG LABOUR COMMIE ASSHOLE FUCKHEADS HATE THEM SO MUCH will vanish back to Cuba or wherever the hell they manufacture communists these days (China?), even though the majority of people would scratch their heads and ask “Why do you even care about this anymore?”, because if you do have such a blog, I would love to read your musings on just how much Helen Clark looks like a man, because I’m sure they’re very witty and amusing and I would enjoy them very, very much. :-) xxx ooo

25. Evee says:

fuck your dumb oliver

26. Evee says:

Alright oliver i take that back, i’ve got nothing against you just that chump of an editor

27. Phillida Fish says:

Im tranzitioning and I want to write about how empowering it is to be a tranz. I want to write the next QUEER article. Salient is so impressive with its quality talent that I too want to be part of the world-class team based in salient.

I am so empowered and I need to testefy my tranzliberatory tranzglorious tranzformation.

Please post my article on the next QUEER issue.

As a tranz it is my right to do what I want and when I want. I like to dress up in full wig and make-up and go out so everyone can see Im a tranz.

My article will be about 83 illicit sexual encounters with normal males – all of them from this university over the last four years. I know that at least a dozen of them have girlfriends.

I thought this would be an interesting tale to tell.

Everyone agree? Should I included names?

28. Phillida Fish says:

Im a clean teen by the way so I have none of the usual homo diseases. Anyone want to give me a good thrashing? I want a good root now.

29. Evee says:

fyi, Helen Clark is one of the greatest leaders this country has had

30. Phillida Fish says:

Middle class k’nunts. Gee your dumb oliver.

Steve is an excellent editor. Most of the writers however (except 2-3) are C.R.A.P. Especially the female ones. This is the profound reason for me trraaaaanzitioning. I just woke up one day and decided – “I feel like being a tranz – anything goes these dayz” – so I did. Womyn can be real bitches (except most mums). Today’s species of female – particularly the nice “educated” ones are a real pain the the ass – but not in a pleasurable way. Feminazi’s can be real kn’unts. So I said to myself. “Right, I have to be the woman that most men want. Put out when they want, but still make a lovely meal, give them space, lots of cuddles and the right to be men. I understood this as a former male. Although I was a homo (called Andreas) I still was male with male tendencies – yearning for freedom from the shackels of feminazi oppression. I then realised – “WOW” – I can turn into a tranz, understand blokes and give them head and ass on tap. The perfect relationship. I just had my tranzitioning yesterday all of a sudden and traaaaanzzzformed into a tranny. A faaaaabulous tranzzy at that. Not trizzy, not dizzy, not phantiz-ee. Just Phillida – PHILLIDA FISH!: The BLOWHARD COCKSUCKING TRANZ! YAAAAY!!

31. Phillida Fish says:

Helen clark is a fascist nazi pig. Like a reincarnation of Joseph Goebbels, but without the camp. Its all riddles and innuendo with Herr Helen and her fascist slave capitalist government. The poor are worse off, more degraded, more angry – and this could be a good thing potentially. We need a leader! Nick Kelly? Lindsay Perigo? Superchai Panache-Pakdi? Cartoony Titi-ahhloo? Who knows?? Does anyone have any spare tenuate dospan? Im slowing down.

32. Mike says:

“fuck your dumb oliver”… this makes no sense.. what do you mean… do you go to uni evee? How did YOU get in? Can’t you tell the difference between you’re and your

33. Phillida Fish says:

Steve is NOT a chump Evee you dickhed. Last years editor was a chump. Steve has a conscience, a good mind and (if he would take the leap and not be afraid of the turds in his midst) – a profoundly radical analysis or real events and real things that matter – something that has not been seen (but ought to be commonplace in a student paper) at Salient for several years.

Mizzz P. Fish

34. Phillida Sausage says:

Phillida: I can’t actually tell whether you’re taking the piss or not (and I don’t mean like Rachel Wright).

35. Michael Oliver says:

Steve’s been a very friendly and encouraging guy to write for (and I speak for myself personally – he could very well have been a dickbag to everyone else, but he’s always been cool with me). I’ve enjoyed writing for Salient more this year than last year, and that’s largely in part to the correspondence I’ve had with him.

In fact, I could very well have a man-crush on Steve, however my man-crush affections will always belong to Jon Stewart, and I am nothing if not loyal. My current blog-crush, however, is up for grabs between blogette and evee. It all depends on how many poorly photoshopped pictures of Helen Clark as Golum each of them can come up with before the last issue of Salient hits the shelves (MS Paint is allowed, ladies, so go hogwild).

Salient’s always going to cop a lot of flack from all sides, and will almost certainly do so in years to come. But on the whole, things haven’t been pretty decent this year, and I think a lot of the people who’ve contributed to Salient this year can be justifiably proud of their efforts.

As for me? I wrote a column about Murray Mexted pumping Martin Leaslie, so I more or less made par for a sports columnist for a student magazine.

36. Nick Archer says:

ha, ha I remember that one, pity we are stuck with Hamish McKay at the World Cup as the munter commentator (he states the obvious but without innuendo, I know some one who tried out for an reporter job at TV3 and yes McKay is that annoying with his loud enthusiastic voice ALL the time…)…

37. Brannavan says:

“The features last year were poorly researched and seemed to be by real journalists who really knew how to use Google…”

Thank you for the feedback Mr. Archer. It’s much appreciated, constructive, and really cuts to the chase. I think you should be a reviewer.

38. Critic says:

Salient 2006 was a lot stronger than 2007’s.

In 2006 they managed to include high-brow intellectual content with the more commonly liked fart jokes.

However, in 2007, Salient has opted to go for more popularist content instead of giving the student audience the benefit of doubt by adding articles with more substance. To make it worse, Salient has displayed a tendency to fall victim to contributors’ issues with insecurity and persecution.

Archer and Nicoll: When at the ASPAs, I suggest you ask other the other editors what they think of Salient 2007. Wait until they’re drunk and you may get a little more honesty.

39. Dr Ron "i will kill 120,000 people" Paul says:

nick o’kane supported the a-team

come on

40. Tristan Egarr says:

Critic hassles Salient.
    Mummy, why must you be mean to Daddy?

41. Phillida Fish says:

TO PHILLIDA SAUSAGE: RE: Phillida: I can’t actually tell whether you’re taking the piss or not (and I don’t mean like Rachel Wright).

Im actually GOOD at taking the piss – but the comment about the editor isn’t taking the piss. At times, the paper yes. The Editor no – he’s a thoughtful writer.

42. Phillipa Hole says:

ATT: P.FISH: I agree, a good editor that needs to get of a few of the babies around him.

N. Arch should stay and T. Egg as well – actually keep all the guys and get rid of the females…terrible.

43. Phillipa Poop Shoot says:

Yes, totally agree gals.

44. Phillipa Love-Hole says:

I like that little gay fellow with the hard dick. the o’kane chap. hot…looks like a little boy. Makes my fanny all gooey. However, I have been thinking of changing into a butch. Any advice?

45. Phillida Fish says:

Honey, why don’t you turn into a tranz? Better for you. Full make-up and wig gets lots of cocks.

46. P. Love-Hole says:

Honey, a butch is a lesbanese, not a man. I’m a female already.

47. Phillipa Hole says:

CORRECTION: re: Editor of SALIENT:

“ATT: P.FISH: I agree, a good editor that needs to get RID of a few of the babies around him”.

48. Tristan Egarr says:

tehe… lesbanese is my new fave word.

I can imagine Michael Laws and NZ First fuming about the number of lesbanese asylum seekers coming into our country to drive taxis kitted out in spikes and tartan…

49. Phillipa Box says:

Hi Tristan, Hey P Hole…I think they’re a particular species of female once commonly understood as ‘lesbian’ – not Lesbanese — basically a lesbian means a female what eats out other females fannies and dresses like a bloke and puts on a blokes voice. And, it is possibly, slightly, largely, maybe, perhaps a little OTT to refer to this particular group nowadays as lesbian [other than the occassional psychopath feminazi who still exists on the fringes] because they usually insert into the pop-category of ‘queer’ so-called.

50. Phillipa Box says:

PS. Michaels Laws is a CF. And, don’t complain about this, most of my friends are gay but out so its OK to say this – especially about fascists. Other CF’s of note:

Lockwood Smith

51. Phillipa Box says:

Tristan, come and make love to me tonight. The other night I had some chicken who allowed me to blow over his face. Very nice….What is it with heterosexual males and trannies????

52. Tristan Egarr says:

Yeah, it’s a wee bit too classical Roman to consider women another species from men. I suppose there are men out there who probably think that lesbians have made themselves another species by cutting themselves off from men. “Lesbanese” makes me think of these opinions and the hilarious fury of the people who hold them… kinda like the way Perigo always pronounced Maori as “muuuri” on purpose. Petty, petty, petty….

53. Tristan Egarr says:

“What is it with heterosexual males and trannies”

it is the fact that trannies rock. I have never met a tranny without and frightening sense of humour… especially the real bitch-queen ones, who rock the most.

54. Phillida Fish says:

Hey guys/gals – just a point: Not ALL trannies are the sort that dominate Vic Uni, i.e. blokes who like females who want to become females so they can root females – what’s that about??!!! A proper tranny is someone like Georgina Beyer. I despise her right-wing extremist views but at least he’s normal sex-wise! Jeepers! Gee-Willickers!!! Has the world gone MAD!

55. Phillipa Box says:

Hey Tristan,

Re: Perigo and ‘Muuuri”. The difference him and I is that I have a soul and a spirit and I will help anyone out as much as I enjoy being a nut. I’m a libertarian but not of the capitalist variety. Perigo on the other hand – while he mocks Ad Inifintum – is just a KKKunt.

56. Phillipa Box says:

Hey Tristan,

Re: Perigo and ‘Muuuri”. The difference between him and I is that I have a soul and a spirit and I will help anyone out as much as I enjoy being a nut. I’m a libertarian but not of the capitalist variety. Perigo on the other hand – while he mocks Ad Inifintum – is just a KKKunt.

57. Tristan Egarr says:

“I’m a libertarian but not of the capitalist variety.”

My fave form of libertarianism is the kind that liberates little green plants.
    Did you guys know that Prebble’s Rebbles smoked little green plants on the steps of parliament when celebrating the success of the VSM referendum bill back in the 90s?
    yays.

58. Phillipa Box says:

Cum cum Tristan, your not naive…

re:

I said: “What is it with heterosexual males and trannies”
    You said: “it is the fact that trannies rock….”

Dahlingk, that’s code for ‘suck cock’ isn’t it darling? Yes it is….

And that’s precisely why the straight male loves the normal tranny (M2F). We’ll do anything that his know-nothin, dill-brained, brain-dead, corporate hornbag educated slapper with a BA almost under her belt won’t do because of the current university female obsession with controlling the natural male vibe – which is to feed, fuck and forget – all a man needs. That’s why the males love us. We understand them. That’s my experience anyway – and I’ve done a lot of straight blokes.

59. Tristan says:

p.s. …. I wanna see the look on Steve’s face when he knows we’ve turned his editorial thread into a queer hook-up line…
    yusssss

60. Phillipa Box says:

As for the Green’s —puhleeeeeze. Weak as CAT PISS.

Anyway, kisses to all including my on-line boyfriend Tristan. And the little one with the rock-hard dick – the right-wing extremist who looks like a little boy, the O’Kane chap…him…yes very very nice. Myself of course I prefer the maori chicken from the commerce faculty. The perfect relationship. Says nothing, just pulls it out, humps, cums and goes.

61. Phillipa Box says:

ACT =

Arsholes Cumming Together
    Association of Cocks and Tossers

Anymore…???

ps. Thanks S!!

62. Phillipa Box says:

re: hook-up line. Good idea for next years Salient. Have a hook-up classifieds page on the website.

And if you want me to blow you – txt me on my mobile.

63. Tristan says:

Abracadabra Commerce Talk?

64. Tristan says:

but i don’t have your number….. whimper whimper

65. Tristan says:

oh well.

66. Transtan says:

And you’re going for editor?

67. Tristan says:

… one imagines they wouldn’t let me if I was found doing dodgy things with these comments threads, au…. nah jokes eh. Peace all.

68. Poisson Ivy says:

Phillida Fish [1] wrote: Im tranzitioning and I want to write about how empowering it is to be a tranz. I want to write the next QUEER article. Salient is so impressive with its quality talent that I too want to be part of the world-class team based in salient.
    *****

Well, I bet ya to it. I’m just sexier than you, get used to it. I got to write the article. You could write a Salient article about how I’m more sexy I am than you. That might get published. In fact, you should probably worship me, since you are clearly less worthy than me. Then, you should study the ways of tranz, so you can be more sexy than me. Only when you are an experienced tranz goddess can you write about tranz for Salient.

Oh, and you’ve forgotten that being tranz isn’t about getting cock, it’s about making men jealous because they can’t have yours any more. Even though you’re so hot.

Do you really need a wig though? That’s a bit sad, you could just grow out your hair for a year.

And trannies dominate Vic Uni? I long to meet these dommes. They might be able to show me where to find goth boots so I can kick your ass.

Ivy, Queer Goddess

[1] Or is that Phillida Bunkle! From ACT, you know. See, you decided to be tranz with a z and you just end up supporting the people you hate. It don’t work, Phillet.

69. Michael Oliver says:

What the fuck is this

70. Poisson Ivy says:

No idea. But I feel compelled to inform Andreas Rupprect/Phillida Whatever that he’s a twit whenever I get the opportunity.

Look at recent Queer columns. It’s a bit…odd.

71. Tristan says:

Well, the thread was getting a bit too serious, it was all ex-staff members and current staff members slagging each other off. Screw that for a game of soldiers.

72. Michael Oliver says:

Who’s your fave All Black?

73. Rugbyschmugby says:

Kofi Annan, oh wait… that’s cheeky darky.

74. Tristan says:

“Who’s your fave All Black?”

I miss when we had Tana against Gregan, cos Tana played like an orc and Gregan plays like a scheming goblin. Richie looks like Paul Phoenix from Tekken, and is about as hard, which is cool, but Rodney and Jerry can run through anything, which is even cooler. Plus Jerry’s round the back and under the leg passes are a thing of genius. Although, on a superficial level , Rodney’s evil samurai moustache is scarier than Jerry’s hair which looks like it has been soaked in urea…. but Jerry still wins.

75. Michael Oliver says:

Yeah, Tony Woodcock’s moustache is superb as well (when he grows it). Makes him look like a cop from the 1970’s.

76. Tristan says:

Maybe if we start talking up the 1982 All Whites and their fantastic facial hair, the All Blacks will get jealous and start growing hairy… that would be the best thing that could happen to NZ sport. Well, that and letting the Argies into the tri-nations or pacific teams into the Super 14.

77. Tim says:

Rodney is Lukas’s favourite ;)

78. Evee says:

boring

79. stan says:

hey Tristan, haven’t heard anything of you for ages! you still in Dunedin?

stan (from Nayland)

80. tristan says:

scribbling away and learning latin… do you still run a band in chch?

81. Michael Oliver says:

Evee, you’re a born again trash queen ruling over the kingdom of trash in the mythical trash planet Trashinoca. Your trash is so trashtastic that it makes other trash feel like trash, which is funny since you’d think it would make trash feel like, I dunno, recyclable goods or something — but no! Your trashiness is so trashful that it flips the laws that govern trash-emotions 180 degrees, releasing a tsunami of unhappy, unloved trash onto a world that’s already had a bloody gut’s full — yeah, that’s right, a bloody gut’s full — of your kingdom’s trash trashing everything in its wake. Stop trashing this now awesome comment’s thread, you trash queen, queen of trash.

My fave All Black will always be Christian Cullen, because he’s essentially rugby’s answer to gridiron-playing Forest Gump.

82. Michael, I think you’re my hero. Post-ASPA Salient commenting must be the new hip thing..

83. stan says:

i just finished a legal internship, don’t have a band at the moment unfortunately but i’m gonna focus on music next year (as i realised after doing the internship that law is bullshit). why Latin? what you gonna do with your life?

84. Michael Oliver says:

I no longer have favourite All Blacks. I am now in mourning.

I now only have images of Tana Umaga plugging kids learning pamphlets on TV to console me.

“There’s no knowing what kids will do next,” says Tana, staring at his salt-covered dinner.

Yeah, there’s no knowing what the All Blacks will do next either since they DIDN’T HAVE A PLAN B.

85. tristan says:

fumble fumble fumble character-building etcetera hurrah…. meh. I see our loss has brought the weather down.

86. Evee says:

Oliver, I hope that rambling post didn’t take you too long to come up with

87. Michael Oliver says:

Evee, I’m the king.

88. tristan says:

“there’s no knowing what the All Blacks will do next”

Richie McCaw will go back to being Paul Phoenix in the world of Tekken.

Best solution to world cup mourning: buy a copy of Tekken and beat up any vaguely French-looking characters using Phoenix. All good harmless virtual fun.

89. Evee says:

Oliver, guess which gender I am.

90. Poisson Ivy says:

I guess you’re third gender.

91. Clint Heine says:

Oh come on guys, get with the programme. If you have any knowledge of the history of Salient and VUWSA ytou would all know that this attack during election week was part and parcel of protecting VUWSA and their mates from losing key support (and funding)
    One can hide behind the “editorial” guise as long as you want, but the facts are you published attacks on the A Team without allowing rebuttals during election week. It would like me banning National or Labour from running political advertising and then directing the National papers to write about “alleged” but untruthful articles about them.

I’m not upset or bitter as it wasn’t my campaign, but looking at the facts from the outside as some of us have during this entire election was pretty painful viewing, but not at all surprising. Just a bunch of silly kids playing grown up games.

92. Confused says:

good work steve. i love your jacket with tails too. What’s news is news. End of story.

93. Nick Archer says:

Clint, Salient can print what it wants (according to the constitution and Salient Charter), end of story… I think the consitution needs to be changed to at least let those like the A-Team to respond to news stories… And you should be allowed to campaign during voting like in local body elections, it’s stupid banning campaigning like they do on election day in national elections but the voting period is more like local body elections…

94. Michael Oliver says:

Oliver, guess which gender I am.

I think you’ll find that “trash queen, queen of trash” can be easily applied to just about any gender you subscribe to.

Also, I’m still the king.

95. Evee says:

‘Clint, Salient can print what it wants (according to the constitution and Salient Charter), end of story… I think the consitution needs to be changed to at least let those like the A-Team to respond to news stories… And you should be allowed to campaign during voting like in local body elections, it’s stupid banning campaigning like they do on election day in national elections but the voting period is more like local body elections…’

The question is not whether Salient can print what it wants. The question is whether Salient is a trustworthy source of information. It is not, it is biased.

‘Also, I’m still the king.’

No, you’re not. Don’t be sexist.

96. Nick Archer says:

Evee it was an editorial that you are commenting on (since when has an editorial ever been anything but the opinion of the editorial writer) as for the news stories, they were acurate as they didn’t misquote anyone interviewed, it WAS NEWS there WERE allegations made against the A-Team and salient just REPORTED those allegations…

97. Michael Oliver says:

The sports column is continually and unashamedly biased towards sport-related entertainment events and news, so Evee, I actually agree with you there.

98. Mike says:

“The question is not whether Salient can print what it wants. The question is whether Salient is a trustworthy source of information. It is not, it is biased.”

For fuck sake Evee, what planet are you on? I think you need to go educate yourself.. I first suggest reading Manufacturing Consent. by Edward S. Herman and Noam Chomsky, but maybe you cannot read that well, so go get the DVD out. It will explain it all to you, and maybe even open your eyes.

But you shouldn’t, after all, the red pill maybe too much for you to handle, and you can’t handle the truth.

99. ron "genocide" paul says:

it would have been much harder to make the a-team look horrible and shitty if they were not actually horrible and shitty

100. Evee says:

‘For fuck sake Evee, what planet are you on? I think you need to go educate yourself.. I first suggest reading Manufacturing Consent. by Edward S. Herman and Noam Chomsky, but maybe you cannot read that well, so go get the DVD out. It will explain it all to you, and maybe even open your eyes.

‘But you shouldn’t, after all, the red pill maybe too much for you to handle, and you can’t handle the truth.’

lol

you reference the matrix, advise me to read Chomsky, and don’t make any points to support your argument. What kind of stupid loser are you?

‘it WAS NEWS there WERE allegations made against the A-Team and salient just REPORTED those allegations…’

Yes, selective reporting. With a limited and questionable form of rebuttal.

101. Evee says:

NB: Shouldn’t it be ‘In Defence of Salient’? ‘Defense’ with an ‘s’ is American usage.

1