October 15, 2007 | by  | in Games |

New Media

The definition of new media according to PC Mag is:

(1) The forms of communicating in the digital world, which includes electronic publishing on CD-ROM, DVD, digital television and, most significantly, the Internet. It implies the use of desktop and portable computers as well as wireless, hand held devices. Almost every company in the computer industry is involved with new media in some manner. Contrast with old media. See digital convergence.

(2) The concept that new methods of communicating in the digital world allow smaller groups of people to congregate online and share, sell and swap goods and information. It also allows more people to have a voice in their community and in the world in general.

This year I have endeavoured to present to the readers of Salient some of the most innovative websites I could find and explore the relationship between the new media and students. First off in Issue 1 of this year’s Salient I started with the obvious; Google, Wikipedia and an important resource for students Newztext which is free to all Victoria students. You have electronic access to a database of several New Zealand media resources (talk to SCS if you need more information about this).

Another new media innovation Barackobama.com was profiled in Issue two, at the time I said of it, “expect to see the National party rip off this website…” this didn’t take long as the testing ground of political trends has traditionally been student politics. Recently an A-Teamer after I chatted to him about the infamous www.a-team.org.nz said that Barackobama.com was highly influential. Indeed, expect to see Act and National boost their campaigns next year by having interactive and innovative (by New Zealand political standards) features on their websites that are remarkably similar to Barackobama.com.

Next in Issue 6 I investigated new media with a feature titled ‘The Rise of the New Media Machines’, where I talked to Victoria University Media Studies lecturer Dr Geoff Stahl, blogger David Farrar (www.kiwiblog.co.nz) and Massey School of Journalism lecturer James Hollings about key trends in new media.

Stahl noted that new media would eventually have in effect the word new dropped from it as he noted, “once this kind of media and technology works itself into the background, that’s when it becomes part of everyday life.”

Farrar, who has become a minor blogging celebrity in New Zealand in his own right by popping up on Radio New Zealand National’s Afternoons The Panel, TV One’s Agenda and the Good Morning shows, noted how blogging can affect the way businesses treat consumers. After Ticketek covertly made comments on a disgruntled customer’s blog, the blogging community blogged back. Farrar noted, “And what happened to Ticketek? Their reputation [after international bloggers ran with it also] went down the plunger in front of millions of people.”

I asked Hollings if someone could make a living as an amateur journalist getting scoops using new media platforms such as YouTube. He noted that to make a living as a freelance new media journalist would be difficult as, “whether you can succeed is going to depend on how consistently you can produce that kind of stuff [new media scoops].” This is because, “the news outlets are still going to want to give their work to people they know have been through training and are going to get the basics right.”

YouTube itself managed to push the media revolution further itself with the YouTube Debates as was reported in this column in Issue 16. As I had previously mentioned, trends in American politics influence things here. This has been happening for a while, as Chris Trotter noted in his recently released book No Left Turn; Albert Ernest Davy brought practical American campaigning techniques and helped make and break Gordon Coates’ Reform party in the 1920s and ‘30s. Nothing much has changed, expect to see TV One and TV3 to introduce new media concepts to political debates in the general election next year.

What are these new media concepts? Basically they are more interactivity between the media, politicians and the voters at home.

This has evolved through the years, firstly with newspapers when American newspaper barons William Randolph Hearst and Joseph Pulitzer used what was coined yellow journalism to whip up anti Spanish and Cuban hysteria to help the US government’s cause during the Spanish-American War of 1898. Radio soon followed with Hitler, Stalin, Roosevelt and Churchill kicking things off by presenting fireside chats and in some cases out and out propaganda broadcasts. New Zealand was quick to pick up on the trend with Michael Joseph Savage himself issuing his own intimate broadcasts to New Zealand radio listeners in the 1930s.

Film became a medium that also proved revolutionary for politicians, from Leni Riefenstahl’s infamous Nazi propaganda film Triumph of the Will. Savage himself can be heard, read and seen in the various forms of media declaring of Britain at the outbreak of WWII “Where she goes, we go…”

Television was also a revolution in terms of media, from Nixon forgoing makeup during the first 1960 Presidential debate against Kennedy and looking tired and haggard to viewers as a result, right through to Muldoon revealing it was all over when he responded to Lange’s charisma with “I love you too Mr Lange” in a televised debate during the 1984 snap election.

Finally the Internet has caught up, with the CNN/YouTube debates, with CNN and YouTube joining forces. This was partnership is revolutionary as it finally shows the media giving way to the public in the conduct of candidate debates. The first CNN/YouTube debate this year happened on July 23 when Democrat Party Presidential candidates answered questions from potential voters submitted via YouTube. The Republican candidates debate was originally scheduled for September 17 but was cancelled due to lack of interest by the candidates. But it has, however, been confirmed that there will be a CNN/YouTube Republican debate after all on November 28 when the primaries finally kick into gear. Expect TV One and TV3 to follow suit with video questions uploaded to their websites by us during their own debates during next year’s general election. Thus confirming that the New Zealand politics still follow America’s lead…

How the general election is covered should even be affected by new media. On Tuesday, November 7, 2006 CNN hosted the E-lection Night Blogger Party as the results of the 2006 mid term congressional elections came in. Top American bloggers were in residence at the Tryst Coffeehouse in Adams Morgan, Washington DC and got the party started. As a political geek I joined the party by blogging myself and by making comments on the party’s blogs. Expect to see David Farrar rubbing shoulders with the likes of Colin James, Chris Trotter and Nigel Roberts on election night.

Finally here at Salient we pushed the frontiers of new media and the relationship with students even further with SalientTV. This has successfully begun to bring you the news at Vic with video from around campus of all the big events. If you haven’t checked out SalientTV then go to http://www.salient.org.nz/columns/salienttv/, or go to the home page.

The vision for SalientTV was to increase the interactivity of media around the Vic campus, this is happening as the VBC (Victoria Broadcasting Club) are following in Salient’s footsteps as their own VBCTV is already in development. Their focus according to VBC’s Business and Production Director Douglas Tereu will be used “to keep people updated on the station developments as well as providing light relief through humorous videos.” It is the way of the future, and hopefully VBCTV will play the role of the campus version of MTV while SalientTV should become like CBS (but without the corporate bullshit) that is providing cutting edge current affairs journalism on campus.

This can’t happen overnight, but I think one key player that could build a relationship with both campus’ new media TV stations could be the Film Collective. This campus-based film club helped resurrect the Vic student film competition with the VASFAS (Vic Aquila Short Film Awards and was clearly to give film and theatre students practical experience. To become a good film maker you have to make films; this was demonstrated in the 1960s at UCLA, USC and NYU where the likes of Francis Ford Coppola, George Lucas and Martin Scorsese originated. Through actually getting their hands dirty with film they revolutionised the entertainment industry, first through movements like American Zoetrope and by overturning the studio system.

Wannabe film directors and television producers at Victoria University can no longer just sit around analysing art house films, they need to get practical like they do at the New Zealand Film and Television School and at Weltec. SalientTV has set a benchmark, it is my vision that the bar can be risen much higher in the next few years in regards to student media. New media is one of the tools that makes this possible, but it is not up to me but the students at Victoria University through institutions like Salient, the VBC and the Film Collective. Let’s hope that the second definition of new media by PC Mag becomes true at Victoria University. It was for these reasons there was a new media this year in Salient.

YouTube Video of the Week: Baby Laughing

We are laughing because it is the end of the Salient year, but you can’t help but laugh with this baby – just don’t drop a tab and have a bad trip watching this baby laugh, as it could be pretty creepy…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjXi6X-moxE

1. syed salman mehdi says:

Respected Sir,

Sub;-“Application for meeting with your organization & Press ,media Related organization with relationship”our study tower for your country.

A Blessing for the Day,

First take my regards all of you. I look forward to working with you on many issues of concern to us, particularly the issue that brings us here today, press freedom. The juncture between an informed citizenry, economic self-interest and the rule of law is fundamental to democracy and good governance everywhere. No nation can become democratic or be economically free if its citizens cannot openly and freely express their opinions. And no nation is truly free if free print and broadcast media are not available to provide independent and objective information. Its mandate is to work for the independence of the media and extend the frontiers of freedom of expression in Pakistan.It executes programs in research, documentation, campaigns, publishing and training. Our training programs seek to produce technically solid journalists its emergence and sustenance in Pakistan as a serious programme.Our mission is to independent Media in Pakistan., We provide extension, awareness raising, and support activities free media. Promoting a global common front against restrictions on news through leadership of a worldwide Coordinating NGO of Afzal Jahan Memorial Social Welfare Trust International , facilitating joint action and administering shared projects. Today, the AJT is the world’s leading organization for the defense of press freedom.
    To defend and promote press freedom: free access to the news, free transmission of news, free publication of newspapers and free expression of views

To promote the free exchange of news and the free flow of information regardless of national boundaries
    To promote cooperation and an exchange of professional experience among its members to improve the practice of journalism
    To develop schools of journalism

Activities Conferences, seminars and roundtable meetings on press freedom, media laws, journalistic codes of practice, safety of journalists.

Missions in areas where press freedom appears to be endangered : Political intervention, judicial procedures, fact-finding and lobbying, Press Council, Seminars

Point 1) Today we continue to lobby, educate, and join others all over the world in the struggle to world media free freedom unity Allanice.Our mission is to promote & responsibility our Country Trade Unionist & NGO’s Protection ,free Media ,Press Freedom in Pakistan. We invite Europe colleges & Universities,Human Rights organization ,Journalist ,World Political Personality,Mass Communication organization, broadcasting organization, world Press Club , Press Society etc. I pray and hope that you will continue to work together .We promote mutual understanding between NGOs of foreign countries and their Pakistani counter parts. Our NGO aim to work together the should be published through newspapers magazine and print media that majority of Pakistani are unaware of the English language as there is lake of education and Urdu being the national language we need to establish a department to translate the Articles send by you into Urdu and other local languages

Point 2) We condemn all the actions against people of Pakistan and media carried out under PCO.” Detention of journalists, ban on satellite TV channels, pressure on independent press groups and amendment of Pemra laws are unacceptable, he maintained.

Point 3) Our organization is a non-profit, non-partisan, public interest organization that strengthens participatory democracy by investigating and exposing public relations spin and propaganda, and by promoting media literacy and citizen journalism. Journalists chanted slogans against coercive measures and increasing dangers faced by journalists and the growing restraints on the functioning of the media in the country. The Action also aims at developing empirically based new conceptualization that is relevant for the analysis of the specific problems of the media in the region.It is their commitment to Pakistan that led them to form this organization whose sole purpose is to build a strong independent Media Pakistan. It is an ambitious project but not an impossible one. The organization takes its tasks seriously and is looking for committed people to join in who are truly dedicated to the cause of Pakistan.

Point 4) We are also confident that the relations between the our NGO and your Organization will steadily improve given your influence in the present government and people-to-people relations between the two countries will be strengthened in future. Please appeal the to consider our case on humanitarian grounds. Our humble request to you that we are a Voluntary Grass root NGO. The Afzal Jahan Memorial Social Welfare Trust International will be a valuable organizing vehicle in building the popular political movement necessary to create a diverse and democratic communication system.

Point 5) You and we will talk in your country in a good invirment and make some good routs and the participation of the good people cen be given to us I hope you are going to read this With all you considerations..With a mission to work as a non-political, non-governmental and non-profitable organization, the trust started its fight Democracy independent Media in Pakistan.. We promote mutual understanding between NGOs of foreign countries and their Pakistani counter parts. We will be able to struggle Democracy in Pakistan. The Afzal Jahan Memorial Social Welfare Trust International of Journalists monitors press freedom violations and campaigns for greater safety and for a focus on the in-country journalists and freelances who are at greatest risk and who have the least protection. The nonprofit organization AJT for Media and Democracy strengthens participatory democracy by investigating and exposing public relations spin and propaganda, and by promoting media literacy and citizen journalism, media “of, by and for the people.

Point 6) The Afzal Jahan Memorial Social Welfare Trust international coordination organization that includes 15 journalistic groups — print and broadcast, labor and management, journalists, editors, publishers and owners on six continents . united in the defense and promotion of press freedom. Our goal is to strengthen and secure a global environment in which the news media can be free and independent. To this end, we work to reduce the ways and occasions in which governments, intergovernmental organizations or others try to legitimize restrictions on the press. Serving as a watchdog for free news media, the AJT emphasizes its roles of monitoring press freedom issues and of coordinating of responses to press freedom threats or restrictions.Our goal is to strengthen and secure a global environment in which the news media can be free and independent. To this end, we work to reduce the ways and occasions in which governments, intergovernmental organizations or others try to legitimize restrictions on the press. Serving as a watchdog for free news media the Afzal Jahan Memorial Social Welfare Trust International emphasizes its roles of monitoring press freedom issues and of coordinating of responses to press freedom threats or restrictions

Point 7) Our organization is also a victim of this situation. The religious extremists are the enemy of NGOs enemy of AJT in Pakistan. They have the point of view that . The offices and members of NGO are not safe here but our morals are high and we have taken oath to work for common people.Our organization request you to please join hands together and guide us by giving membership of your organization. The insulting to Media Journalist in Pakistan and sort of events of female journalist rapping and after that their killing and thought of them in world.

Point 8) The Afzal Jahan Memorial Social Welfare Trust International are to permute freedom of news media can be free and independent.speech through responsible and independent print media, and adherence to high journalistic and editorial standards, by Considering and dealing with complaints and concerns about material in newspapers, magazines and journals, published either in print or on the Internet.democracy by investigating and exposing public relations spin and propaganda, and by promoting media literacy and citizen journalism. Journalists chanted slogans against coercive measures and increasing dangers faced by journalists and the growing restraints on the functioning of the media in the country.

The Action also aims at developing empirically based new conceptualization that is relevant for the analysis of the specific problems of the media in the region.It is their commitment to Pakistan that led them to form this organization whose sole purpose is to build a strong independent Media Pakistan. It is an ambitious project but not an impossible one. The organization takes its tasks seriously and is looking for committed people to join in who are truly dedicated to the cause of Pakistan.AJT Media experts on Tuesday called for freedom of the press and withdrawal of all black laws hindering access to information and freedom of expression. They said free media and democracy are interlinked. “Free media cannot flourish in non-democratic societies like Pakistan where parliament is subservient and judiciary submissive to military dictators.”

Point 9) Musharraf also blocked all independent television channels on the cable network. There were police raids on media organizations, printing presses and bureau offices and detentions of journalists. For many, Musharraf’s ham-handed dealing with the media over the past year, and particularly the last couple of weeks, evokes bitter memories of the late Gen. Ziaul Haq’s martial law with its strict media censorship and ‘press advice’. Newspapers in protest published blank spaces where material had been censored. Dissenting journalists were arrested and some were even flogged. An explosion in the number of independent TV channels boosted pluralism and the quality of news,” noted the media watchdog Reporters Without Borders in its annual report of 2007.Simultaneously, since Pakistan’s involvement as a frontline state against the ‘war on terror, “the security forces radicalized their methods of repression: a score of journalists were kidnapped and tortured by the military.” Almost two dozen have been killed in different incidents since.

Point 10) Our NGO working developing between the publishers, broadcasters and the working journalists unity is important to keep media freedom alive.”We condemn all the actions against people of Pakistan and media carried out under PCO.” Detention of journalists, ban on satellite TV channels, pressure on independent press groups and amendment of Pemra laws are unacceptable, he maintained. liberty and safety of journalists and editorial independence are principles of press freedom, which are sacred and non-negotiable. We condemn all the actions against people of Pakistan and media carried out under PCO.” Detention of journalists, ban on satellite TV channels, pressure on independent press groups and amendment of Pemra laws are unacceptable, he maintained. I am sure if you take actions according to our recommendations them both the nations will appreciate us and many nobles will join us including many partyes its time to do something.deside now only.

We condemn the closing of the newspapers and the jailing of their editors and writers. We support freedom of expression for all. We condemn suppression of the people’s rights and voices in all shapes and forms.

Point 11) We are also confident that the relations between the our NGO and your Govt will steadily improve given your influence in the present government and people-to-people relations between the two countries will be strengthened in future. Please appeal the to consider our case on humanitarian grounds. Our humble request to you that we are a Voluntary Grass root NGO. Our organization request you to please join hands together and guide us We hopefully they you might success to all these work.

Our NGO Struggle Journalism and Electronic Media Democracy Revaluation in Pakistan

We are very hopeful that you would consider our request in a positive manner.

With profound regards,

Best regards,

SECRETARY GENERAL
    (Dr.SYED SALMAN MEHDI )

You may write to us at the following address:

SECRETARIAT:
    AFZAL JAHAN MEMORIAL SOCIAL WELFARE TRUST INTERNATIONAL
    B-11/374 Indus Mehran Housing Society Malir Town Karachi No.37 Postal Code 75080 Pakistan.

Fax No 009221-2418954 C/O SYED ZEESHAN MEHDI RIZVI
    Phone No.009221-8470079
    Email: WWWPEACEWORLD@yahoo.com , WWWPEACEWORLD@hotmail.com
    WWWAJT@hotmail.com

1