Nexus: Stolen but unstoppable!

Story actually by Joshua Drummond (ASPA) – Salient’s News Ed doesn’t know how to change the byline

Parties unknown made off with 3, 900 copies of Nexus left outside the Citizens Advice Bureau on the Waikato University campus on Monday morning.

The magazines had been left outside the CAB by a driver from APN Print, Nexus’ printer, who had logged the trip on his GPS, and was adamant the magazines had been dropped off correctly.

Nexus staff contacted Campus Security who then contacted police. The theft took up the best part of Monday morning’s WSU Board meeting.

Nexus Advertising Manager Tony Arkell said that the theft “could have significant impact” on advertising revenue.

The theft means the magazine had to have the entire magazine’s print run reprinted, at a cost to the company of approximately $3600.

Outgoing WSU President Sehai Orgad said the matter was being taken extremely seriously.

“If we find out who did it, we will be pressing charges. The whole Board is completely pissed. This is a waste of student money and an attempt to stamp out the democratic process,” said Orgad.

Interim Editor Art Focker was similarly infuriated.

“This is disgusting, no matter the motivation behind it, whether it was meant to be a prank or not,” Focker said.

“It impinges on the student’s right to a free student magazine. I’m just so enraged, I don’t even have words,” he said.

WSU Manager David West said the theft was most likely perpetrated by someone who knew about the magazine’s distribution process.

“It appears to me to be somebody who knew about the delivery times and so on of the magazine,” West said.

“I’m extremely disappointed at this occurrence, which costs the students, the WSU and Nexus money and time.”

He added that the nature of the theft had led to “finger pointing” as it occurred at the height of campaigning for the WSU elections.

“It’s created a lot of tension and animosity that wouldn’t normally be there,” he said.

The magazine can be viewed at: www.nexusmag.co.nz

News Editor’s Note

In the stormy history of Nexus, the magazine has never before been stolen. It has been censored, withheld from circulation, sued for defamation, the office computers have been confiscated, but it has never been stolen. The theft marks a new milestone in the magazine’s history – but we’re still unstoppable!

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1. peteremcc says:

“It impinges on the student’s right to a free student magazine.”

lol…

2. 8 Years Old says:

LOL A-Focker. What a name

3. jimbo says:

abng on Petermcc, the stamping out of democracy where less than 10% vote on the who manages the lucrative fees of them all

4. Confused says:

jimb, what does your comment even mean? Have you ever taken an english class in your life?

5. jimbo says:

*bang on petermcc, the stamping out of democracy[A Focker quote] where less than 10% vote on the, ‘who manages the lucrative fees of them all’

didn’t mean to confuse, english is so last week, brilliant site Salient!

6. Confused says:

it’s their choice to vote. It’s still the right of students to get access to a student magazine paid for by a small portion of their fees right?

7. peteremcc says:

No, it’s their right to choose whether to pay the fee in the first place.
    Ever read the Bill of Rights or the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights?
    It’s called Freedom of Association.

8. When will VSM stop plying the freedom of association argument? No one forces them to study at the University.

Ha, boy, I don’t miss this.

9. Confused says:

Yeah, and people are welcome to pull out of the WSU. It’lkl take a whole hundred bucks off of their student loan. Good call. But then they get no right of access to union benefits such as legal protections/free entry to o-week events/etc etc.

How does A. Focker’s statement reflect anything you’re talking about? Or are you just looking for another soap box to hop up on and beat the war drums of voluntary student membership?

The student ‘right’ to a free magazine might be a loosely construed idea, but nonetheless, it is an idiotic, un-kiwi thing to do: stealing 4,000 copies of a free magazine just because one or two people are worried that their election may be in jeopardy due to what is written inside.

Do me a favour mcc and build a time machine, then go back to Waikato in the late 1990s and see how awesome it was without instant membership to the union. Real fun. Meathead.

10. Informed Opinion says:

“Yeah, and people are welcome to pull out of the WSU. It’ll take a whole hundred bucks off of their student loan.”

Actually, the university would probably absorb some of the Students’ Association’s services and charge the same if not more for it.

Students would be unlikely to benefit financially from it. They would, however, lose an independent voice and student media.

1