October 1, 2007 | by  | in Film |

Razzle Dazzle: A Journey Into Dance

I was eager to see this new Australian film, as I am for all Aussie films, as I love just about everything that the industry comes up with. I have to say though, I was disappointed with the movie on the whole and found it very tedious and at times wanted to leave the cinema.

I found myself shifting around in my seat, spacing in and out every now and then and pretty much wanting to leave.

Now, that’s not to say I didn’t find parts of the movie bearable – witty and funny bits were splashed about everywhere. When it came to piecing the whole movie together however, it just fell flat.

Kerry Armstrong is the exception. I found myself sitting up in my seat and smiling every time she came on screen because each scene she was in was hilarious and bright. Jane Hall also gave a very good performance. The five-second appearance by one of my favourite actresses Rachel Gordon was little more than a blink-and-you’d-miss-it scene, which was disappointing because she deserves so much more than what she is given.

All in all, Razzle Dazzle gave it a fair go, but with the majority of the adult audience it didn’t match the hype it received before the movie came out. Young kids would enjoy it for the singing and dancing routines, and I’m sure many adults could find something they liked about it as well.

DARREN ASHTON

1. In NZ.
  2. The Party Line ~ Issue 04
  3. Mental Health Wānanga Celebrates Work, Looks to the Future
  4. Sustainability on Salamanca: VUW working on environmental impact
  5. Basin Reserve Vigil: Wellington Stands with Mosque Attack Victims
  6. Mosque Terror Attacks: The Government Responds
  7. Issue 04 ~ Peace
  8. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  9. Wellington Central Library closed indefinitely
  10. School Climate Strike Draws Thousands

In NZ.

: When my mother gave me my name, it was a name she couldn’t pronounce. The harsh accents of the Arabic language eluded the Pākehā tongue. Growing up, I always felt more comfortable introducing myself as she knew me—Mah-dee or Ma-ha-dee—just about anything that made me feel