October 1, 2007 | by  | in Books |

This Is Not A Book

It looks like a book. The cover is hard-bound. There are lots of words inside and even a picture of a book on the front cover. But, as Descartes would say – it doesn’t think it’s a book, therefore it cannot be a book. Instead, it is a 160 page philosophical journey through epistemology; ethics and morality; metaphysics; and spirituality, logic and infinity.

Split into those four areas, you will find philosophical puzzles that have intrigued the greatest minds in history, logical paradoxes and quirky quizzes that will challenge how you see the world.

Mini profiles on the pin-ups of philosophy provide a good historical context and an introduction to the key philosophical conundrums within. It features the usual suspects: Socrates, Plato, Pythagoras, St. Thomas Aquinas, Rene Descartes, John Stuart Mill, Bertrand Russell, Ludwig Wittgenstein and Noam Chomsky.

This book will free your mind one minute, and in the next instant force it to box back for the sake of logic. All of the paradoxes and differing schools of thought are here, with an exploration of the self; society and the world around us; the cosmos; the conceptual and the ultimate infinite questions about God.

You may not be interested while you are at Victoria to hear that Ken drinks Fosters, but we are all impacted by philosophy. How we look at the world is philosophy in action. For instance, do we see only the shadows of Plato’s cave, or do we see what is really outside?

It’s time you opened your mind, and this book-that-is-not-a-book is an excellent way to do so. This is because the University as an institution has its roots in the Greek academies of antiquity. What better way to build a strong foundation for your education than by getting an introduction to the traditional ideals that this University was built upon?

1. Legalising Abortion Is Still Best Option, Even for Pro-Lifers
  2. hidden figures
  3. Accessibility: Teri O’Neill is Running for Council
  4. VUW’s Women are Fucking Good at Sport
  5. Research: Third of Tertiary Students Sexually Assaulted At University
  6. Battle Of The SECS’: VUW Failing Women In Tech
  7. Issue 15 – Feminism