January 28, 2008 | by  | in Music |

Kings of Leon

A packed audience at the TSB Arena suffered through a disappointing start to the 2008 musical calendar when should-be rock legends Kings of Leon took the stage. The opening act, Australian four-piece Youth Group, managed to mildly entertain Kings’ fans with their uninspiring blend of pop-rock and shoe-gazing, while the anticipation of seeing the southern Kings of Rock grew. Unfortunately, the excitement went to waste, as I witnessed the biggest let-down since Neon Bible.

In front of a massive black backdrop, the Kings commanded the stage for their first few songs, which included Aha Shake classics Taper Jean Girl and King of the Rodeo. But the novelty of having the Kings of blues-rock in front of my eyes rapidly wore off and by the time they were half way through Holy Roller Novocaine it was apparent this group of rock royalty didn’t actually want to be there. Musically they blasted through hits from all three albums with studio perfection, but what they presented in musical talent they horribly lacked in stage presence.

Youngest brother and bassist Jarod Followill and cousin/lead guitarist Matthew stood firmly on the spot for their entire set, pouting in a manner that would make Gorillaz jealous. With their hair in their eyes, and the sleeves of their tight shirts rolled up, they looked generally too rock’n’roll for their guitars. They made no attempt to connect with the audience, and the consequence was a total deflation in their ability to produce an impressive rock spectacle. I was never expecting stage dives or amp climbing from these guys, but the simple enjoyment of their music would have sufficed. One fan in particular must have been disappointed in the performance, as he resorted to yelling “Pearl Jam! Pearl Jam!” during the call for an encore.

Sadly, the Kings seem no longer to be the fun and original blues-rock group they once were. They are now rock stars, too cool for their fans. Matthew was even badass enough to say “fuck you” to the Indoor Smoking Act, lighting up twice during their set. Kings of Leon produced a tiring experience that did little except make me smelly. Those cunts owe me a shower.

1. Alice says:

AS much as you are entitled to your own opinion and I mine, I have to let you know that using the expletive “cunt ” makes you one and not the Kings of Leon. When did you last write or play a song in front of a stadium audience? Where is YOUR talent? Cos it certainly isn’t in writing or reviewing anything about music. GET A LIFE WHY DON’T YOU?

2. tim says:

ah, another well thought out comment from internet intelligentsia

3. R Hide says:

Alice, you sound nice… you certainly are not a cunt. I hope you have a happy day

4. Ned says:

Ahh, yes, the old “you can’t critique something unless you’ve done it yourself” argument. So I guess you can’t point out how weak a film is unless you’ve made a film yourself, right Alice?

Methinks we need less uppity cunts ruining the internet like this.

5. Ned says:

also: lmao @ “biggest let down since Neon Ballroom”

guy was obviously expecting a blowjob the moment he opened the casing.

6. Derek says:

I was dissapointed that I missed this concert but if I can take the review with a grain of salt perhaps it wasn’t so bad that I missed it. Oh well, The Pumpkins and QOTSA should be good… They better be, I have tickets this time.