February 18, 2008 | by  | in Music |

Chuganaut + The Masters of Metal

Feb 29 – Mt St Bar (open from noon)
Bands start at 8pm
Free entry
R18

The Brotherhood of Ordained Bogans invites you to share in the glory of stadium rock and the best in home grown Metal. The Brotherhood, or BOOBS, are all ordained (via the internet) in the Universal Life Church, which allows you to believe whatever you want and gives you a certificate. Founded by VUWSA Education Vice President the Reverend Paul Danger Brown, BOOBS infest the Mt St Bar every Friday to Rock Out. Mt St Bar will be open from lunch time, so get in early and bring your dirty super-taper jeans…

CHUGANAUT, a loud, obnoxious band from Hamilton will be there, playing Twisted MetaL with mellow bits, like a pinky bar wrapped in a molten crowbar. They’ll have an expressive flurry of chaotic rhythms, quirky hooks and the quick changes that are symbolic of freaky-looking singer Solid Stu’s song writing. Add a dash of NAIL-wrenching riffs, LIL-ting drumbeats, and MUNRO-ic bass to the heartfelt SOLID-vocals and you have the heart of Chuganaut.

MASTERS OF METAL, or MOM, are a different kettle of metal: Rising from the Ashes of a Society Doomed to a lack of 8Os Metal Heroism they come – Saviours of a World gone Mad. Hotlixx Hooligan, Zakk The Ripper, and Stone Cold Spence clawed their way into this mad world in 2003, and were joined in November by Dirty Animal Dazza. Due to a tragic tour-bus accident Stone Cold Spencer was sent to America to recover and longtime groupie Randy Rawhole stepped up to fill the gap.

Not just any old bunch of dirty bogans playing metal, MOM are The Ultimate Metal Experience, a supergroup paying homage to such classic 80s rock as Bon Jovi, Poison, Guns ’n’ Roses, Pat Benatar, AC/DC, Judas Priest, Twisted Sister and more. This requires a high technical level of occult musicianship and choreography, slathered in all the humour and theatrics of the poodle rock era. MOM guarantee no-one leaves without having a great time. Merchandise will be available to impress your friends and disgust your parents.

University of Waikato PhD student Dave Snell may also make an appearance, to conduct research for his thesis on Boganology. We leave you with a few words of wisdom from AC/DC:
I’m dirty, mean and mighty unclean
I’m a wanted man
Public enemy number one
Understand?
So lock up your daughter
Lock up your wife
Lock up your back door
And run for your life
The man is back in town
So don’t you mess around…
Your doom is here…

(Unless, of course, the Brotherhood of Ordained Bogan Students can be bothered saving you in between beers…)

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos