February 25, 2008 | by  | in Opinion |

Do or Die

Politics (alongside and sometimes scarily similar to prostitution) is one of the oldest professions. It has been called the art of deciding who gets what, when, where and how. Since before history humans have arranged themselves into tribes and political units, made group decisions, shafted minorities, distributed wealth, and tried to make the way things work in a way that seems fair and equitable. Differences in ideas about the way stuff should be distributed within societies have been contentious. People with similar ideas have come together, formed theories and tried to manage other people, economies and life along the lines of these theories.

The things that those fat cats in the VUWSA offices, the Beehive, White House, 10 Downing Street, on 42nd Street and in Tehran, do and say are the things that will affect your life. The air that we breathe is political; the food that we eat is political. Where you live, what you do, how you do it is all regulated in some way by laws. Politics, in essence, is about life and death. Which is why we as citizens of not only New Zealand but as human beings inhabiting a closed biosphere, need to be aware of the decisions that affect us.

As pointed out on the blog, there are a lot of political events happening this year. We have the general election here and presidential elections in the US, Taiwan and Pakistan. To cover all this cool stuff, we have a team of four writers working on politics. If John Key picks his nose, if Hillary gives birth to Obama’s love child, and if Musharraf nukes India in a last ditch effort to retain power, you will know. The team is purposely diverse in our political views. We have a couple of capitalist pig dogs and a couple of bleeding heart lefties.

I encourage you to comment on the blogs, write letters to the editor, contact me with your ideas, write to your MP, or write into the Dom, the Wellingtonian, and the Herald; to make submissions to select committees, to the Wellington City Council; to seek knowledge, to get passionate about politics and most of all to get involved.

It is my goal this year to get you interested in politics, to make it enjoyable and fun; to incite you to think about what your own politics are and to hopefully get you to think about the politics of others.

Feel free to contact us on the blog at www.salient.org.nz or at jackson@salient.org.nz, conrad@salient.org.nz, emma@salient.org.nz, and hugh@salient.org.nz

Week on the Blogs

Politics Editor Jackson Wood is incapable of spelling or using English grammar correctly. It also became apparent that he only writes his blogs when completely high. He wrote about the appalling state of student accommodation and the role that political leadership will play in this year’s election Conrad has affirmed his desire to overtake David Farrar as NZ’s most verbose political blogger. His topics ranged from David Cunliffe, Kosovo, McCain, why to vote, and many other articulate ramblings.

Comment of the Week:

Laura McQuillan on Mouldy Shoe Box: “Jackson, you were in my Politics class and I checked you out from afar. I think you’re a total dreamboat and I would so tap that.”

The editor of this fine rag for 2009.

1. Cuttin’ it with with Miss June