February 18, 2008 | by  | in Features |

Dusty the Activities Monkey Explains Orientation

What is Orientation?

The Orientation Festival is the event to kick start what should be a great year at university. There should be something for everyone. Music, sports, trivia, clubs galore, street performers and of course the Hang Over Hangi. This is the time of year to meet new people and try some new things. If you are new to Wellington then make sure you see some of the music and sights on offer.

Who are the highlights this year?

Obviously Supergroove will be a huge show. The band took Aotearoa New Zealand by storm in the 90s, and have shown no sign of letting off since their re-formation last year. Odessa and The Aviators are supporting, and potentially a very well known guest DJ. Tiki Taane rocked the world as the enigmatic front man and sound controller for Salmonella Dub and his solo work has been many years in the making. Featuring his friends from Shapeshifter the show will go off and at only $10 for students you can’t afford not to go. Speaking of Shapeshifter, catch Reno + Digss at the Sandwiches Club party on 1 Saturday (tickets from www.sandwiches.co.nz). Summerset 08 is also part of the Ori line up and you lucky students have the chance to get one of 100 limited $75 student tickets (normal retail is $110). Did I almost forget to mention Ska-B-Q? That will be another huge night (Saturday 1 March @ SFBH).

How much does it cost?

It does vary depending on the band, but no show will be more than $25 for a student. There are many free things as well, the nakedbus.com lunch time series has a great act each day from 4pm. And we start the week with Tiki + Tahuna Breaks for only $10! Where can we buy tickets?

All tickets will be available from VUWSA (ground floor of the Student Union Building), the two Cosmic Corner stores (Manners and Cuba Streets) where a small booking fee applies and from Vic Books at the Pipitea Campus (base of Rutherford House).

What time should we come?

For any Union Hall show we open the doors at 7.30pm and the shows are finished by midnight so don’t be late. Ska-B-Q (at San Fran Bath House Saturday 1 March) starts at 6pm and goes until 1am, the famous Hang Over Hangi starts at noon (Te Herenga Waka Marae on Kelburn Parade) and the Speight’s Double Decker Bus Pub Crawl starts at 3 in the atrium/Mount St Bar. More specific info can be found online at http://www.vuwsa.org.nz/activities and in this mag.

What are the venues?

Union Hall is one of Wellingto’ns most historic venues, some of the past performers include Body Count, Alien Ant Farm, The Violent Femmes and the best New Zealand has to offer. It is directly above Mount St Bar and Café so have a look when you’re in the Student Union Building. You have to queue at the National Bank to get in.

The San Francisco Bath House is on Cuba St and also a great live venue. Sandwiches (Corner of MajoriBanks and Kent Tce) is the place to go for late night (read early morning) sounds. The Establishment on Courtenay Place is hard to miss so you should be at most of the after-parties. Mount Street Bar is the place for our trivia and regular get togethers so learn which couches are ok to sit on early.

Do I need to bring ID to drink?

Hell yes, even if you’re 54. Age ID will be required at ALL Union Hall shows. We have a special agreement that allows 17 year old tertiary students into the venue (but can not drink alcohol). If you are 17 you will not get a wrist band. Security will explain it on the night but you will need either a tertiary student ID or a valid age ID (a passport, drivers licence or 18+ card, nothing else will be accepted) regardless of your receding hairline or expanding midsection. Save yourself the hassle of convincing security by bringing some. What time do the gigs finish?

It varies but the Union Hall shows all have a midnight cut off so be there at 7.30pm to get in or you may miss something. The Club Party at Sandwiches will obviously go later. Most town venues go til 3am but the music tends to finish about 1am.

Any other advice?

Get in as soon as you can to get tickets. The Union Hall cant take all of you so don’t miss out. Bring friends and look after each other (especially heading into and out of town). Walkwise will be around The Terrace (during the big nights) so if you get into any trouble head for a bright yellow jacket. Have a fun and safe time. Drink lots of water and do what your momma tells ya, she knows best.