February 13, 2008 | by  | in Online Only |

McCain dominates Huckabee + Obama outstrips Clinton in Delegates

McCain and Obama have continued their winning runs in the US presidential primaries after Super Tuesday. McCain was a clear winner on Super Tuesday, and Obama was neck and neck with Hillary Clinton – ensuring the race would continue after last Tuesday’s mammoth vote. Today Obama has now outstripped her in delegates.

On the republican side, a david vs goliath situation is developing. The biblical allusion is apt, on the one side, the veteran (both politically and military) McCain is commanding the Republican race. His opponent the little known baptists preacher and former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee, is doggedly holding on. Its an interesting situation – Huckabee is smack bang in the middle of the conservative Christian Republican base, but he lacks the charisma and tenacity to take on either Obama or Hillary. To some Republicans, a vote for Huckabee is more a sign of solidarity than a real political commitment. Its no surprise that he is romping home in states like Kansas, but failing to make a significant impact in California or Florida.

Conversely McCain has the opposite problem. Being a maverick Republican he has real issues to overcome regarding his connection to the tradition GOP base. His support of an amnesty last year for illegal immigrants had traditional Republicans squirming in their seats. However, if it’s Clinton or Obama in November, McCain is someone the Republicans could reluctantly rally around.

Obama’s delegate count is surprising – predictions were that after Hillary’s big wins of New York and California on Super Tuesday, the game would be all hers in the days that followed. Obviously it hasn’t been, and this latest development really puts the pressure on Hillary to hitch up her skirts, and get down to work.

Expect some fireworks.

Conrad is a very grumpy boy. When he was little he had a curl in the middle of his forehead. When he was good, he was moderately good, but when he was mean he was HORRID. He likes guns, bombs and shooting doves. He can often be found reading books about Mussolini and tank warfare. His greatest dream is to invent an eighteen foot high mechanical spider, which has an antimatter lazer attached to its back.

1. Slow down Mr Reyners! You’ve already blogged more than I did the entirety of last year.

2. Dave says:

Yeah, slow down, then you may not make errors. Capitalise names, spell thier as their, at least seven mistakes in the first five lines.Thats when I stopped reading.

3. Nic says:

Hold on, I think I’ve got a tissue somewhere here…

4. Nic says:

…and if you are goingto correct errors, you could at least correct errors in the whole document

5. Nic says:

Cool.

Someone has stolen my username. I love it when people do that.

Can’t we get a comment feature where we can register? Would save a lot of hassle.

6. Jackson Wood says:

Also a few of the big states with more delegates than these puny states that Barrak is winning now look like they are pretty much in Clinton’s pocket (if she has one of those cool skirts that has pockets). I stand by my prediction that Clinton will win the nomination. On another note I will bring up registering to comment with Tristan, just for you Nic, or Nic…. which ever one of you is the real Nic.

7. oludare says:

cliton will win

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos