February 18, 2008 | by  | in Music |

NAKEDBUS.COM DECK SERIES: Featuring Lindon Puffin & Others

SUB Upper Deck (25 – 28 Feb) 4pm each day Free

Nakedbus.com presents free musical free musical entertainment on the deck across from Vic Books, with a portable bar for refreshments. Performers last year included Julia Deans of Fur Patrol fame, Wayne Anderson, “singer of songs”, and the mighty Lindon Puffin:

Lindon Puffin was officially the best act of Orientation 2007 – as quoted on his recent tour poster, so it must be true. New students and returning, don’t jip yourself the chance to go see New Zealand’s greatest one man band.

Performer, entertainer, cracked out speed freak (maybe not the last part, but suspicions are rife) – however you describe him, one thing’s for sure, he rivals his place of residence’s port (that being Lyttelton, the biggest port in the South Island) as being the most useful and Salient entity the area has to offer the rest of New Zealand. That’s because he spends a great deal of his time touring the islands – the Chathams and Stewart too – entertaining audiences of all ages with his range of upbeat rockabilly and introspective, life-musing folk – both covers and originals – with his sets held together by witty banter, tales of his on-the-road journeys, and even the hilarious stories behind some of his songs.

He holds the ability to keep these sets varied and fresh, something lost on most New Zealand based singer-songwriters. He mixes things up with at least three albums’ worth of originals and a sharp catalogue of covers, including a Johnny Cash styled cover of Eminem’s ‘Business’ or his earnest cover of Randy Newman’s ‘Political Science.’ Check him out and you will find Puffin is more than a musician; you will be drawn in by his sarcastic interpretations of his surroundings or cynically self-deprecating retellings of failed relationships.

If you are a fan of Chris Knox, Johnny Cash, Bill Hicks, early Springsteen (or are just interested in seeing one man sing, play kazoo, ukulele and drums all at once) then definitely skip those first lectures and witness the fitness.

1. There’s a New Editor
1