February 18, 2008 | by  | in Opinion |

New Students’ Orientation!

18 Monday to Friday 22 February for your intro to study and life at Vic

Congratulations on having made it up here to campus and welcome to New Students Orientation week! We hope you have an enjoyable time and find these events useful in preparing for your study. You are welcome to attend as many events as you wish – all new students orientation events this week are free.

Visit an info desk if you are lost, confused, have mislaid your New Students Orientation programme, want to pick up info, or just need someone to talk to – info desks are on the Overbridge and in the Maclaurin foyer all this week. There you’ll also find the current day’s programme displayed.

Events offered all week, 18 – 22 February

Halls Head Start programme for students in 1st Year Halls of Residence. Your hall will have advised you of your programme.

CAMPUS TOURS:
• Kelburn Campus Tours (which take up to an hour) depart the info desks on: Mon, Tue & Fri at 10am, 12 noon, 2.30pm & 4pm Wed & Thu at 9am, 11.30am, 12 noon, 1pm, 2pm, 3pm & 4pm
• Architecture / Design tours will depart the main foyer, 139 Vivian Street as part of their orientation sessions on Wed 20 February.

FREE Sausage Sizzle lunches will be available in the Quad starting 12 noon Monday to Thursday. Friday’s sausage sizzle starts 12.30pm.

LIBRARY TOURS:
• Introductory Library tours (15 minutes) start from the Central Issues Desk in the Rankine Brown building (off the Quad) at 10.30am, 11.15am, 12 noon, 12.45pm, 1.30pm, 2.15pm & 3pm
You must register in advance at the Issue Desk at the Library entrance. This short way-finding tour will help you familiarise yourself with the Kelburn Central Library.
• Extended Library Tours (45 minutes) offer a way- finding tour followed by an extended tour giving an overview of library resources. Maximum tour size for this is 15 and you must register in advance at the Issue Desk.

COMPUTING RELATED WORKSHOPS:
• Student Computing workshops (30 mins) in the CyberCommons – Kirk 216: Mon, Tue & Fri at 1.30pm, Wed & Thu at 10am, 12pm & 4pm
• myVictoria and Navigating CareerHub workshops (45 mins) follow on immediately after the Student Computing workshops in Kirk 216: find out how to access and use myVictoria (the student portal) and Victoria CareerHub (very useful if you need part-time work, etc.) Mon, Tue & Fri @ 2pm, Wed & Thu @ 10.30am, 12.30 and 4.30pm

Attend all consecutively or select individual times that suit – there is a 34-student capacity and they are offered on a first-come-first-served basis. Bring your student ID or confirmation of study.

Our spacious and refurbished Recreation Centre is open all week. Visit them to check out facilities, what classes and programmes are available and to register. You’ll find it on the city side of the Maclaurin and Cotton buildings.

The Adam Art Gallery, next to the Student Union Building and Vic Books, is open for self guided touring Tue to Fri 11am – 5pm, and offers a special tour on Thursday at 2.30pm. Events related to specific days

Monday 18 February

Mature Students Orientation in Hugh Mackenzie 206, 9 -11am. This will be particularly useful for those who haven’t studied for a few years, or may have studied in the past but feel they would like a reality check, and for those who would like to meet other mature students.

Maori Orientation in the Student Union Hall, Student Union Building from 9.30am-3pm offers all Maori first years and whanau a very warm welcome.

The Civic Welcome is in Civic Square, downtown 12 -1pm. This is a fun event for ALL new students.

‘How to Survive the University Jungle’ a half-hour workshop about “getting involved,” begins 1pm in Murphy 101.

New Graduate Students Orientation in Maclaurin 103, 2 – 3pm – this is especially for VUW students new to postgrad study and postgrads new to Vic, followed from 3 – 4.30pm by food and drinks in Premise Bar and Café, Rankine Brown Building.

Students with Disabilities Orientation in Meeting Rooms 1 & 2, Student Union Building from 2 – 5pm.

Tuesday 19 February

Halls Head Start Programme – for students living in Halls of Residence – your hall will advise you of the programme.

Wednesday 20 February & Thursday 21 february

Vital Vic Info, 10.30 – 11.15am in Maclaurin 103 – come along to get the essential info you need to know about systems and support here at Vic plus a welcome from the Vice-Chancellor and VUWSA. Your chance to win prizes!

Campus Coaches – register and/or meet up with your coach and team members. Attend Vital Vic Info to find out or check the Campus Coaches info on page 56 of this Salient.

Stuff in the Quad – check out the fun events, food and Info Expo, et cetera going on in the Quad from 11.15am -1pm, and probably later!

Study Starters – these are short study skills workshops in Hunter 323 for those who are interested in study techniques. You may want to attend both!
9 – 9.45am Introductory Study Skills Tips workshop
11.30am – 12.15pm Introductory Essay Writing workshop

Surviving the University Jungle workshops in Murphy 101 – four different topics on Wednesday, and five on Thursday – these 30 minute sessions senior students and/or staff will discuss student life focusing on the realities of balancing your time between study, socialising and employment. How to handle your new independence will be a major focus for many of you – hear about some of the traps you should try to avoid. Come along to pick up tips and ask your own questions.

Faculty Orientation Sessions:
Each faculty has its own orientation session. It is highly recommended that you attend the orientation of the faculties you have enrolled with.

At the ‘Refreshments / Meet & Greet / Expo’ you have the opportunity to talk with staff one to one so you can find the answers to niggling questions.

Wednesday:

• School of Architecture Orientation 9.30am – 1.30pm, 139 Vivian Street
• School of Design Orientation 12.30 – 3pm, 139 Vivian Street
• Commerce & Administration Orientation Expo / Faculty Facts for BCA, BTM & BBIS students, 12.15 – 1pm, Maclaurin Foyer
• BCA students Orientation 1 – 1.45pm, Maclaurin 103 and 101
• BTM students Orientation 2 – 3pm, Maclaurin 102
• Law Orientation Folklaw / Refreshments in the Maclaurin Foyer 1.45pm
• Law students Orientation 2.30-4pm, Maclaurin 103 and 101
• CUP – Certificate of University Preparation Orientation 9.30am (all day) in Hugh Mackenzie 206 Thursday:
• Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences Expo / Meet & Greet 12.15pm in Maclaurin Foyer
• FHSS students Orientation 1-2pm in Maclaurin 103 and 101 and Kirk 303 – for all students studying BA, BMus, BA/BTeach and BA/BTeach(ECE)

The Adam Art Gallery, next to the Student Union Building, is offering a Special Tour at 2.30pm on Thursday.

Friday 22 February

Smart Start 2008 at 9.30am-1pm in Maclaurin 103. This is for those who would like a substantial study skills programme in just one session. Please enrol in advance with student-learning@vuw.ac.nz, call 463 5999 or visit Student Learning Support, level 0, Kirk Building. Register early to secure a place. There will be some repetition if you have already attended a Halls Smart Start session or the Study Starters workshops.

Remember there are heaps of events offered daily all this week – so make sure you slot them into your programme and don’t forget to stop at an Info Desk to pick up useful handouts and ask any questions. Enjoy your start to life at Vic and we wish you all the best in your new adventure.