February 15, 2008 | by  | in Online Only |

Not the nine O’Clock news

Stuff today ran with the story – Prince William runs up huge curry bill with Pals. Why the hell was this news. This news piece was good for one thing, and one thing only – demonstrating the banal dumbing down of the supposedly informative fourth estate.

For a start the headline was misleading – it conjures up images of Prince William paddling in butter chicken, and using the Royal Jetski in an ocean of Lamb Korma. In reality, they spent 1,300 pounds on a simple meal, according to current exchange rates thats a whopping $3,262.48. Split that between the 47 people in attendance and you have an average cost of $69 dollars per head. Fucking Scandalous. I’ve spent more than triple that on myself in one meal. Not to mention Prince William didn’t even pay for it, his friends did.

Sigh – so the media were looking for a sensational headline, and something interesting for the plebians amongst us to stumble across. It’s just sad that while the gossip whore reporter from Reuters was drafting this offense to my eyes, real news was being made. Six people were shot today at the Northern Illinois University, in the United States. I’ve yet to see any proper journalistic analysis of that.

Once again, my eyes are fucking bleeding.

Please Mummy, can I have some more?

Conrad is a very grumpy boy. When he was little he had a curl in the middle of his forehead. When he was good, he was moderately good, but when he was mean he was HORRID. He likes guns, bombs and shooting doves. He can often be found reading books about Mussolini and tank warfare. His greatest dream is to invent an eighteen foot high mechanical spider, which has an antimatter lazer attached to its back.

1. peteremcc says:

WHAT! That’s not news… I read that a week ago… that’s history!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/02/08/nwilliam108.xml

Never mind the fact that he actualy only spent 9 pound on his mean.

Oh can despite 1,300 being 3262 with exchange rate, because wages and cost of living are higher over there, you’d actually only get about NZ 2000-2500 worth of product for your 1300.

2. Further Proof from Detective Peteremcc that Stuff is shit.

3. Jackson Wood says:

I won’t argue with either of you there. I got really angry the other day because they ran a story entitled “Small Parties Disrupt Two Horse Race”. I had to point out the fact that small parties do not disrupt the electoral race, because they are valid parts of it, and that they should stop thinking in terms of a FPP system. I never got any reply… Stuff is like ciggarettes, once you start looking at it, it becomes second nature and you just can’t break the habit… I do like scoop though. It is also good, and slightly less commerically slutty.

1. There’s a New Editor
1