February 10, 2008 | by  | in Online Only |

Old Dog, Old Tricks

It seems Tim Shadbolt has been successful in his campaign to reverse education cuts for the Southern Institute of Technology, securing more than 6 million dollars. Whether or not he has been successful in his tacked on assault against the Electoral Finance Bill remains to be seen.

Shadbolt’s conduct however has raised some perplexing questions. I can understand his campaigning to secure SIT funding, he would not be representing his local constituents if he didn’t – however, I fail to see how that particular issue gives him a mandate to campaign against the EFB. Local council elections are not usually fought along party political lines, National politics are quite distinct from local body.

More worrying however was his reaction to his own council’s (perfectly legitimate) motion which ensured he could not use council funds to finance his private crusade. It seems that the loony left have a real problem with misappropriating public funds. We all remember the workers party photocopying scandal, an incident much closer to home. Shadbolt’s claim to “Bring down the government” and “Make tactical decisions in the field of battle” reeks of a bygone era of picket lines, colourful police squads, and violence.

It seems that this old dog, refuses to learn new tricks.

Conrad is a very grumpy boy. When he was little he had a curl in the middle of his forehead. When he was good, he was moderately good, but when he was mean he was HORRID. He likes guns, bombs and shooting doves. He can often be found reading books about Mussolini and tank warfare. His greatest dream is to invent an eighteen foot high mechanical spider, which has an antimatter lazer attached to its back.

1. Greg Bryan says:

It amazes me that a Council would need to pass this motion – don’t these ratepayer funded council plonkers have policies in place to stop misuse of funds?

Pleased i don’t live there…

2. Two words about your ‘me’ blurb thing. Word economy.

3. Nic says:

Who cares?

Honestly.

Let the man do what he wants.

No one whatsoever sees him as any thought of threat.

First post, then: C

4. I care, thats why I wrote about it. I don’t want to let him do what ever he wants, and I do see him as a threat. Furthermore this is not my first post.

F. See me after class.

5. Yeah, the blurb is better. Written like that is fine, I hate txt speak. I like it also how I can be referred to simply by my first name. I’m up there with Britney.

6. Im not sure if thats a self mockery or not Laura :P

7. Of course not. I have a multitude of enemies – I need not mock myself

8. Nic says:

First post read, dumbass

9. Perhaps you should of typed that in your first comment, not after the fact.

10. Nic says:

Perhaps if you write for a magazine you should learn simple language usage.

“Should have” – not “should of”, dumbass.

11. “Perhaps if you write for a magazine you should learn simple language usage.”

What a clunky and unwieldy sentence. I would suggest “Perhaps if you are writing for a magazine you should learn how to use simple language correctly.” I was going to ask you to join the team since you seem to have a knack for anally retentive sub-editing, but it seems you can’t turn a phrase so that it catches the light.

12. Nic says:

Oho!

Thanks for pulling me up on that point, big guy. I noticed the awkwardness of the sentence before I posted it, but decided to leave it as it was, to see if I could draw your criticism. Believe that if you want to, otherwise deride me for it.

The thing is… I don’t write for a magazine so I don’t have to monitor my writing to the extent that you should monitor yours. See what I mean?

And, to counter your correction, I would argue that my clunky sentence was not “simple” in nature. This point is the height of my argument. You don’t have to be perfect, just don’t be wrong. If you wrote an awkward sentence, like mine, no one would care. If you make a simple error, you’re much more likely to be dissed.

13. Hold on, I think I’ve got a tissue here somewhere….

14. Nic says:

Hehe…
    this is gonna be a great year.
    So easy!

1. Cuttin’ it with with Miss June