February 18, 2008 | by  | in Opinion |

Student Services

Over 80% of students use one or other of our services. Bookmark this page and keep it for when you might need us!!

The University provides the following services, which you help to fund through the Student Services Levy. Many are available at more than one campus. Here we give you the Kelburn details – contact them and then choose the most convenient location for you. For more details of each service check out www.vuw.ac.nz/st_services/

Accommodation Service

Looking for a flat? Flatmates? Halls of Residence information? Then the Accommodation Service is the best place to start.
Address: Level 1, Student Union Building
Phone: 463-5896
Email: accommodation@vuw.ac.nz

Career Development and Employment

Vic Careers provides advice and information to help you plan your career. They also have a wonderful resource library and run numerous workshops on interview techniques, CV and letter preparation and lots more.
Address: 14 Kelburn Parade
Phone: 463-5393
Email: careers-service@vuw.ac.nz

Need work? Access Job Vacancies 24/7 on Victoria CareerHub – http://careerhub.vuw.ac.nz/ – using your ITS account as your login. Jobs include part-time, contract, summer/holiday and full-time work for final year students wanting work next year.
See more details on page 56.

Counselling Service

The Counselling Service helps students with any issues they are having in their personal and academic life. They are wonderfully compassionate and understanding and offer a confidential service. No matter how big or small the problem, the Counselling Service is here to listen and help.
Address: 2 Wai-te-ata Road (just behind the main library),
Kelburn campus
Phone: 463-5310

Creche

The Students Creche on Fairlie Terrace cares for pre-school children of Victoria students. This Creche is open 8am to 5.30pm on weekdays – or to 6pm by arrangement. A creche is also available at the Law School, open 8:30am to 5:30pm weekdays. You must book in advance.
Address: 67– 71 Fairlie Terrace, Kelburn campus
Phone: 463-5151

Disability Support Services (DSS)

DSS works with students with impairments, injuries, chronic illness, mental health conditions, learning disabilities or who are deaf. They aim to minimise barriers to studying and participation at University for students with disabilities. If you do need their assistance make contact with DSS early.
Address: Level 1, Robert Stout Building, Kelburn Parade
Phone: 463-6070
Email: disability@vuw.ac.nz

Financial Support and Advice – and the Hardship Fund

Victoria students who get into financial difficulties may apply for assistance from the Hardship Fund. To apply, you complete a confidential application outlining your circumstances and you’ll be individually interviewed. Only students in genuine hardship will receive financial help. The Student Finance Advisers also offer you budgeting advice and assistance with Student Allowance and Loans problems.
Address: 14 Kelburn Parade – back courtyard
Phone: 463-6644 for information, 463-7474 for an appointment
Email: student-hardship@vuw.ac.nz

Health Service

The Student Health Service provides great general health care for all Vic students – at all four campuses. For most students it is either FREE or very low cost – so make sure you register with them.
Address: 4 Wai-te-ata Road (behind the main library), Kelburn campus
Phone: 463-5308 or 463-7474
There is also a heavily subsidised Physiotherapy clinic.
Address: Ground Floor, Student Union Building, Kelburn Campus
Phone: 463 5257

Kaiwawao Maori / Maori Student Services Adviser

The Kaiwawao Maori provides academic and social support to Maori students and will help Maori students access services provided by the Student Services Group and the wider university community.
Address: Room 007, Level 0, Kirk Wing,
Hunter Courtyard, Kelburn Parade
Phone: 463-6001
Email: kaiwawao-maori@vuw.ac.nz

Manaaki Pihipihinga Programme

If you are a Maori or Pacific student enrolled in the Faculty of Commerce and Administration or the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences you can have academic assistance from a mentor – whatever level of study you are doing.

Manaaki provides one-to-one mentoring, subject specific workshops and more.

The Pacific Support Coordinator is available to assist ALL Pacific students and produces a monthly newsletter which will keep you informed about Pacific related events.
For the Manaaki Pihipihinga Coordinator:
Phone: 463-6015
Email: manaaki-pihipihinga-programme@vuw.ac.nz
For the Pacific Support Coordinator:
Phone: 463-5842
Email: pacific-support-coord@vuw.ac.nz

Student Learning Support

Student Learning aims to assist students to develop the skills needed to make the most of University study. Lots of courses run all year (especially in the first few weeks) – either in small groups or if required one-on-one.
Address: Level 0, Kirk Wing, Hunter
Courtyard, Kelburn Parade
Phone: 463-5999
Email: student-learning@vuw.ac.nz

Other services available through Student Services

Campus Connections (red edition in Trimester 1, blue edition in Trimester 2)

Pick up a copy of Campus Connections early on – it contains details of workshops and activities on campus during the current Trimester. Find out what’s on, where and when – so you don’t miss out!!

Dental health

Student Services has arranged a special deal for all Vic students at:
Symes de Silva & Associates – dental surgeons
Address: 97-99 Courtenay Place (next door to Saatchi & Saatchi)
Phone: 801-5551
Symes de Silva offer: $55 for an examination, polish and x-ray and a 20% discount after the first appointment. You will need to show your Student ID.
They are open seven days and have some late nights.

Eye care

Student Services has arranged discounted services, giving you access to eyecare and eyewear at reasonable prices at:
Matthews Eyewear Eyecare
Level 1, City Chambers, Cnr Featherston & Johnston Streets
Hours: Mon – Fri 8.30am – 5.15pm. For an appointment (you must take your student ID):
Phone: 473-4200
Email: wellington@matthews.co.nz or book online through www.matthews.co.nz

New Student Guide 2008

In your Offer of Study pack you should have received this booklet. Check out the essential info for students new to Victoria that it contains. If you’ve lost your’s, spare copies will be available from the INFO Desks during Orientation.

Self Help leaflets

Check out our series A Few Words About … Time Management, Stress Management, Procrastination, Perfectionism, Loneliness. These are available from the INFO Desks, Counselling, Student Learning Support, 14 Kelburn Parade, the Faculty admin offices, and on the website: www.vuw.ac.nz/st_services/counselling/selfhelp_information.html

Realitybites

An informative website you may not yet know about is www.realitybites.ac.nz – do check it out – you may be very surprised at what you read there!

1. There’s a New Editor
1