Eye on Exec

Hopes for a scandalous Exec meeting went unfulfilled last Wednesday, with most of the hot gossip (comparatively speaking, of course, or else I’d be using the term “hot gossip” very liberally) going down in committee.

There was a change of scenery last week with the meeting being held in the common room of the Student Union building, amongst empty wine and beer bottles leftover from what looked like a far more exciting get-together than the get-together that awaited me.

Fears began growing in me that our student association had actually turned serious and thus un-newsworthy as the first half hour of the meeting passed without note. Thankfully for Exec fans, the late entrance of the Welfare Vice-President put a swift end to my concerns – looking pissed off (which always makes for an eventful time), Melissa Barnard immediately headed toward the alcohol bottles. When informed that they were empty, she produced a two-litre bottle of milk that appeared to provide adequate comfort throughout the duration of the meeting.

As the meeting moved in and out of committee to discuss various matters of commercial sensitivity and personal privacy (something like that), Barnard announced that she could say whatever she wanted while in committee because it could not be reported. Administration Vice-President Alexander Neilson was quick to remind her that employment laws were still in effect.

Education Vice-President Paul Brown appeared amidst this clutching a beer. He said hi to Salient. Melissa announced, “I love my penis” – which may or may not have been taken out of context. The Exec granted $300 to support students of a refugee background.

“If you guys want to look like dicks in Eye on Exec, that’s what’s going to happen,” President Joel Cosgrove said to Barnard (in what could be perceived as a very poor effort to tame her). That seems like a fitting end to this week’s Eye on Exec.