Hong Kong Bledisloe

The final match of the Bledisloe Cup is going to be shipped off shore to Hong Kong, a decision met with much controversy. It just seems to fit the current trend of everything NZ heading off to greener pastures and more moolah.

The Bledisloe being played in Hong Kong is meant to encourage participation in the sport by our eastern friends. This will do wonders for rugby. There’s nothing like a bit of competition and a greater range of global competition in the intermittence of the World Cup might sharpen the All Blacks up.

International Relations scholars have predicted global power is moving towards Asia. Successes in rugby will be quite the keystone in this shift, considering the amount of esteem we grant to rugby here in NZ. They will truly become super powers. Little Asians will dominate rugby because they are physically very well suited to the sport which requires brute strength, speed, and stamina!

The Bledisloe Cup’s exodus to Hong Kong helps ingrain the position of the All Blacks in international rugby. A trend that was started by the legendary Jono Lomu, the true talent of the All Blacks is being an exhibition team. Much like the Harlem Globetrotters, the All Blacks are glorified for their showmanship and skills, battling to many great victories…only not so much when it counts. The reputation of the old school greatness of the All Blacks seems to precede them and having become a rather one trick pony, it is encouraging to see the All Blacks truly embracing this new direction.

I think this change in what is a long standing tradition symbolizes the shift in our nation’s attitude. We have become disillusioned with the grade of rugby in NZ. We are starting to get cultural cringe when claiming it as our national game. Rugby no longer warms the cockles of our deep southern hearts and we are so over it we don’t even really care to have it played out on our shores anymore. This move is nothing but positive. It might finally help some of us let go of our insane obsession. Bring on soccer, haha!

1