News in briefs

Changes to the Memorial Theatre in the Student Union Building are being considered in order to address the current shortage of large-capacity lecture theatres. As part of wider upgrades undertaken by the University, the Memorial Theatre may be converted into a part-time lecture theatre, although Jenny Bentley, the University’s Director of Facilities Management, maintains that “any usage as a lecture theatre will complement existing usage for theatre and similar events.” An upgrade of the Union Hall is also being considered, with suggestions made about increased sound insulation and additional fire egresses to increase the Hall’s capacity while meeting the Fire Service’s regulations.

An overwhelming number of representatives at the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences board meeting voted against the closure of the University’s film department, estimated by one witness at about 55 to five. The result consequently goes into consideration by the University when deciding the future of the film school. “They’d be retards if they go ahead with this,” one source said. “No one in the Faculty wants it, only [the University’s] lackeys voted [in favour].”

Free on-campus Internet and printing is taking its time but progressing, says VUWSA President Joel Cosgrove. “[The University] is an unoiled machine… [But] I’ve had meetings with people responsible [for free computer services]. If ITS (Information Technology Services) want to stop being hated, they will [provide free Internet and printing].” When questioned whether he believes ITS wishes to stop being hated, Cosgrove was optimistic: “I actually think they do. No one wants to be hated.”

More from the VUWSA President, this time likely to be filed under No One Really Cares: Cosgrove won the Law Students Society’s bowls night two Tuesdays ago, with his team of four triumphing over 14 other teams.

1. Chris says:

What I want to know is where Joel thinks the money for “free” printing will come from.

2. Chris says:

3. Badlog says:

Won’t someone think of the trees

1