March 17, 2008 | by  | in Arts Books |

Orientation Comedy Night

The Comedy Night was pretty friggin’ sweet.

Steve Wrigley opened the night with straight-up fucking AWESOME offensive humour. I’m not normally a fan of this, but he does it so well, it doesn’t really matter. In addition, the “crazy drugged-up stories of Kiwis in Amsterdam” is a classic which never fails.

Mrs Peacock provided a pretty decent follow up. A two-piece comedic musical outfit, they sung “the second most offensive song” from some award ceremony earlier this year. And made a hilarious indictment on emo music. Perhaps more importantly though, one song featured the word “asshole” sung back and forth in a call and response manner. I doubt the reader needs an explanation of why this is funny.

Cory Gonzalez was probably the weakest act of the night, and the crowd seemed to share my view. However, my somewhat drunken notes do include the line “I’m a rapist.” I do not remember the context. This meets with my approval.

Jeremy Elwood was the best of the night. Any comedian who refers to Kafka is going to do well in my books, but more importantly, he’s hit onto a very important observation: New Zealand culture is funny. I especially liked that he explained this with reference to various foreigners in the audience.

Anyway, the Comedy Night was awesome, and a great way to spend a drunken production night during O-Week. I’ve been to three of the four since I arrived at uni, and am yet to be disappointed (although a non-repeat of “I’ll give this DVD to whoever lets me put my sack on their head” was a little unfortunate ;) ). If you’re free next O-Week, you should totally go.

1. Second test
  2. test test
  3. Recipes from the Suffrage Cookbook
  4. Beneath Skin and Bone
  5. No Common Ground
  6. Chris Dave and the Drumhedz
  7. Good Girls
  8. Winter Warmers: Home Alone
  9. Winter Warmers: About Time
  10. Sex at Dawn