Practice food safety! Students warned

The New Zealand Food Safety Authority (NZFSA) is reminding students to practice good food and hygiene practices with the new academic year underway.

“It is important that [students] realise that they need to be careful in the kitchen, to ensure they don’t end up having to take time off from their studies to recover from illness caused by poor food handling,” NZFSA’s senior microbiologist Roger Cook says.

“Student favourites can all cause stomach upsets if not correctly handled. Meat needs to be properly handled and cooked, and take a few minutes to give some thought to good kitchen and hand hygiene.

The NZFSA has issued a number of food safety guidelines, which include reheating leftovers thoroughly and only purchasing food in small quantities than can be consumed before it expires.

“Following the 4Cs – Clean, Cook, Cover, Chill – and the 20+20 hand wash rule (20 seconds wash plus 20 seconds) are among the most effective ways to ensure you keep your food safe, stay healthy and keep studying.”

1