SJS registrations on the rise – Vic students getting organised

Registrations with Student Job Search (SJS) have hit record levels this year, with Victoria University students largely contributing to the high registration – up to 825 students from 590 in 2007.

Justin Flitter, assistant manager of SJS’s regional Wellington office says: “The most significant growth comparing last year to this year is from Vic – definitely.” The 2008 registrations from Vic alone have topped total registrations from Wellington education providers last year.

Flitter believes that the boom points to students getting organised and wanting to avoid unnecessary debt. “Having to get a student loan is settling in earlier [and] the fact that three years down the track they’re gonna get the bill.”

“Whatever they’re getting through student allowance or loan is probably not going to cut the mustard.”

Student Job Search met their targets this summer in helping students to earn $47 million between October 07 and February 08.

There are currently 572 jobs in Wellington needing students. Flitter states that “there is no excuse for any student to not have a job.” Demand for students is greatest in the hospitality industry with 146 jobs currently advertised. This is in comparison to 62 jobs in sales/retail and 29 office jobs.

Furthermore, figures from SJS show that students do not necessarily need to work minimum wage. Those who are finding work in hospitality through SJS are earning $13.53 per hour on average in Wellington, and $14.38 in Auckland. Flitter believes that wage differences between Auckland and Wellington are due to transport costs.

Access to the SJS website, here.

1. Kerry says:

That would be:

htttp://www.sjs.co.nz

2. Neilson says:

Also

missing from the article is that access to the sjs website, http://www.sjs.co.nz , is free on university computers and accessible even if you have no credit on your account.

Regards
    Alexander

1