Slain student to have research published

The economics research undertaken by slain Otago University student Sophie Elliott prior to her death is to be published in the University’s departmental magazine and an online Oxford University economics journal.

Elliott, who had completed a first-class honours degree in economics last year, was killed at her Dunedin home on January 9 – days before she was due to begin a job at the Treasury in Wellington. Clayton Weatherston, a research fellow in the economics department at Otago University, has been charged with her murder.

In her honours dissertation, Elliott analysed the characteristics of New Zealand beneficiaries. “[Elliott] shone academically [and] she was truly engaged with learning for its own sake. She wanted to understand more deeply and was keen to debate the big issues,” EcoNZ editor Winchester said.

A tree was planted and plaque was unveiled on-campus in Elliott’s memory following a memorial at the University on March 7.

1. Matt says:

I suspect that Clayton Weatherston may have been a drug user and had suffered from overwhelming anxiety or psychosis because of this.